Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 Bringing Soft Recovery Support For GFX10/Navi

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 Bringing Soft Recovery Support For GFX10/Navi

A lot is building up for Linux 5.8 and there already being a few rounds of AMDGPU feature improvements. Another batch of feature material for the AMD Radeon graphics driver was sent in this week to DRM-Next destined for Linux 5.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kernel 5.8 seems like the ideal time to buy a Navi gpu.

Comment

Hopefully that will mitigate the last occasional annoying hangs i get with my navi ^^

Comment

This "soft recovery" thing might be big. Basic GPU resets already work quite reliably, but a reset invalidates associated GPU contexts and all its memory. So you have to reinitialize everything. Most applications, including compositing managers, are not capable of that. Soft recovery should allow the GPU to recover from many (but not all) hangs while keeping the context and memory buffers intact.

Comment

My 2400G is getting happier by the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
            Hopefully that will mitigate the last occasional annoying hangs i get with my navi ^^
            My 5500XT system is running much better with the latest Fedora updates. The only problem appears to be a crash of the windows manager which restarts GDM causing one to log back on. This might not even be a GPU issue as one of the updates seemed to indicate that they fixed a bug in something (forgot which piece of software it was) so maybe some crashing issues are not GPU driver related now. In any event I can go for weeks now without need to do a hard reset.

So If you are behind the bleeding edge of Fedora then I think you will be happy with the newer kernels. It has been a slow process but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Working...
            X