Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2020.Q2.1 Released With AMD Renoir Support

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2020.Q2.1 Released With AMD Renoir Support

AMD released today their first update of the quarter for their open-source AMDVLK Vulkan Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What panel?!

Comment

Hopefully AMD or some manufacture has a Renoir based laptop coming your way for testing. I've yet to see a model debut that I'd want. That is basically a high end Renoir without the external GPU. That would be the ideal test platform.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Hopefully AMD or some manufacture has a Renoir based laptop coming your way for testing. I've yet to see a model debut that I'd want. That is basically a high end Renoir without the external GPU. That would be the ideal test platform.
        AMD nor any manufacturer has offered me one. Ultimately will end up buying one but so far have just seen the ASUS TUF and G14 both that haven't been really interesting especially with users already trying Linux on the G14. So still looking at what becomes available.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, the Linux experience on the G14 sounds lackluster at best: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...yzen-9-4900hs/

I wonder how well Mesa will cope with Renoir.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

AMD nor any manufacturer has offered me one. Ultimately will end up buying one but so far have just seen the ASUS TUF and G14 both that haven't been really interesting especially with users already trying Linux on the G14. So still looking at what becomes available.
            Asus TUF Linux review would be super cool since it is one of the most popular model. Even non-phoronix people would be interest.

Comment

Originally posted by furkantokac View Post

Asus TUF Linux review would be super cool since it is one of the most popular model. Even non-phoronix people would be interest.
              The only ASUS TUF one I have seen so far was $1199 for a Ryzen 7 4800H and GTX 16660 Ti compared to the G14 at $1449 with the Ryzen 9 4900(HS?) and RTX 2060 so tough to justify the TUF model especially with all likelihood the experience close to being the same as the faster 4900+2060.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

I believe I said to you before, they don't send hardware that won't work out of the box, be it latest Ubuntu/Fedora or be it git of everything.

Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc worked more or less flawlessly, so they (AMD or OEM partner) send you something.

AFAIR you haven't received any ryzen mobile device, the ones you tested were bought, fight?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I believe I said to you before, they don't send hardware that won't work out of the box, be it latest Ubuntu/Fedora or be it git of everything.

Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc worked more or less flawlessly, so they (AMD or OEM partner) send you something.

AFAIR you haven't received any ryzen mobile device, the ones you tested were bought, fight?
                  AMD has never sent me any mobile device.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

The only ASUS TUF one I have seen so far was $1199 for a Ryzen 7 4800H and GTX 16660 Ti compared to the G14 at $1449 with the Ryzen 9 4900(HS?) and RTX 2060 so tough to justify the TUF model especially with all likelihood the experience close to being the same as the faster 4900+2060.
                    I’m more interested in a 4800H without a discreet GPU. Nothing seems to have shown up yet but it seems like an ideal laptop choice in my mind.

By the way I’m seeing a huge regression in Fedora 31 with respect to a long my time AMD bug. This on a desktop with a 5500XT GPU. It is the old GPU / is board hang that will not every few minutes running a web browser watching videos. This especially a rather sad because the same machine ran for days without problems

So maybe not a good time to be testing all AMD systems. I just did another update with a new kernel so maybe, haven’t actually tried it.

Comment

Working...
                    X