Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV+ACO Outperforming AMDVLK, AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan Drivers For X-Plane 11.50 Flight Simulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    I wonder if it says anything positive that the radeon drivers all have a small deviation in frame times, while the Nvidias seem to have high extremes in very long frame times.
    Coming from an audio corner, you'd rather want low jitter. I don't know if that's the same for video.
    If you dont have something like freesync or gsync you also want small deviations. But you dont need >1 picoseconds jitter as like for a crystal oscilator

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      ACO is really good. I can't wait for it to be ported to radeonsi. It does have some issues here and there, but overall it is a great experience!
      I've been playing Kerbal Space Program again recently, which has several renderers available via flags. Unfortunately the Vulkan one only crashes immediately after creating a window but via DXVK (with RADV+ACO) the load times dropped drastically with much smoother frame rates. I feel having radeonsi+ACO would make a massive difference so some of the existing Linux ports.

Comment

Michael Why Vega64 instead of RadeonVII? I think that comparisons of RadeonVII vs 5700XT vs nVidia hi-end would be the most interesting for now (because it would show how different generations of GPUs are supported under linux, and radeon VII is indeed most exotic and interesting one and because o rarity, the first that would get some regressions)
        Last edited by evil_core; 17 April 2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          Kind of sad when 3rd parties can write better drivers than the team with direct access to hardware people
          third party has direct access to documentation and source code produced by first party. and it's not "better driver", at least yet. it's "better driver with limited scope" which is pretty different thing

Comment

Does X-Plane using RADV have some additional requirement?
            When I try to run X-Plane with it it crashes, and on the next run says that Vulkan is not available (anymore) and falls back to OpenGL.
            On the other hand, if I use AMDVLK, X-Plane runs just fine.
            In both cases I had only one of RADV or AMDVLK packages installed, never both of them to be sure what is used.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
              Does X-Plane using RADV have some additional requirement?
              When I try to run X-Plane with it it crashes, and on the next run says that Vulkan is not available (anymore) and falls back to OpenGL.
              On the other hand, if I use AMDVLK, X-Plane runs just fine.
              In both cases I had only one of RADV or AMDVLK packages installed, never both of them to be sure what is used.
              My understanding (from reading other forums) is that the XPlane developers are only testing against AMDVLK, not RADV or RADV/ACO.
              I have a RX560 4GB(not the most optimised card for XPlane, but basically works well enough). I also get the crash as you have described (when running RADV or RADV+ACO), but running it from the commandline, I see the error:
              Code:
              warning: could not set vsync - this machine's video drivers do not support the extension glxswapintervalsgi
              even though the vulkaninfo and glxinfo indicate that this extension is available. My monitor is not v-sync capable.
              If I try to run with AMDVLK (by setting the environment variable
              Code:
              [I]export[/I] VK_ICD_FILENAMES="/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/amd_icd64.json
              , then vulkan doesn't load at all. The kernel driver is amdgpu, and this is all on Fedora 32.

Would appreciate some insight into running XPlane with AMDVLK with vulkan successfully.

Comment

Working...
              X