Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creative
    replied
    pieman Back when I used Slackware circa 2002-2005 I saved my X11.conf or what ever it was called after writing one for a—was it an Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 gts? Can't remember. So yea I feel your pain. It does look like you installed quite a bit of stuff. Yeah, that was my curiosity was hmm how to setup the xorg stuff.

Isn't there a linux equivalent of wattman? I would actually think AMD has a lot more stuff to control your GPU. To be honest I am not really that impressed with nvidia's control panel but it is still good, just not as comprehensive as all the bells and whistles that comes with the windows one. Yes I did generate the config for my 1080p freesync display but that was out of laziness and the values it generated /etc/X11/mhw.d/nvidia.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Acer XFA240"
    HorizSync 180.0 - 180.0
    VertRefresh 48.0 - 146.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

You can always slap one of your old nvidia cards back in and generate a script with the nvidia utility and save it to extrapolate from for an AMD card. I may actually have an easier go at all this...maybe, due to Manjaro's hardware detection and installation kit.

This all is giving me the itch to just order a 5700xt just for the fun of figuring all this stuff out. I know I need to wait though, I would like to see price drops and a current navi refresh. Big Navi from the rumors I am hearing may actually finally destroy Nvidia's lead before they can even release their newer technologies for desktop.

Here is this too.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-754

It looks like enabling/disabling freesync is a matter of writing some short shell scripts then just ./fsyncon or ./fsyncoff. in your home/username directory.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I enjoy listening to level 1 techs on youtube while at work.

Wendell is cool. None of the X570 boards he checked out though were in my price range.

I settled on an Asus Prime X570-P board due to its beefy VRM array and silent Delta Superflo L10 chipset fan rated at a minimum of 60,000+ hours with non-leaking oil recycling complex for fan bearing (Insane engineering in such a tiny space). Thinking the capacitors would degrade before that time is up. Has the same lan as my Prime Z270-P board. I like the no frills high performance boards with ridiculous VRM setups. I learned the hard way from experience with a 970-A MSI board and vowed never again a weak VRM section on a main-board.
    Last edited by creative; 22 March 2020, 12:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
    The one with the least noise (non watercooled)
    Looking at the tear down over at Gamers Nexus I am actually pretty impressed looking at that particular AIB. Looks well engineered.
    Last edited by creative; 22 March 2020, 10:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ObiWan
    replied
    The one with the least noise (non watercooled)

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    ObiWan One of the best.

Leave a comment:

• ObiWan
    replied
    PowerColor RedDevil

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    I have no problems with my 5700XT (5.5.10, Arch, KDE, mesa-git, llvm11, aco) but I do know that other still have issues.
    (Freesync is working fine for me)
    Saaaweet! Running Manjaro myself. What brand and model?

Thanks!

Ready and prepared to drop in a R9 4900x (after release) into this bad boy. Will be going nuts with openbox then.
    Last edited by creative; 21 March 2020, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ObiWan
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    What are some caveats with your 5700xt?
    I have no problems with my 5700XT (5.5.10, Arch, KDE, mesa-git, llvm11, aco) but I do know that other still have issues.
    (Freesync is working fine for me)

Leave a comment:

• IreMinMon
    replied
    I had to disable AMDGPU.dc for my multi-monitor setup to work with my R9 285. Is this getting fixed anytime soon?

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Shouldn't that be part of the card vendors firmware?
    (ZeroRPM works fine for my 5700XT)
    What are some caveats with your 5700xt? Freesync working ok on the 5700xt yet? I ordered a Gigabyte 5700xt then canceled later on in the day. I just felt, "not yet, wait for some verification from those brazen good ladies and gents diving into uncharted territory". I am at the point where I feel maybe I should wait at least until stuff is supported to the level of a rx580 and price drops.

I know the rx580 is one great gpu but am on a gtx 1070 right now and want an upgrade but I still don't feel the time is right just yet but think it's only a number of months away before stuff gets really solid for the 5700xt and cheaper.

Just wanted to know your experience at the moment as a current owner.

Thank you.
    Last edited by creative; 20 March 2020, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    Re: the work to get HDCP support ready for Renoir/Picasso...

Will this also include the various Navi GPU's, or is it limited to APU's?

i.e. Perhaps because it is easier to content-lock the video pipeline if that is a single integrated product (as first happened with kabylake), rather than discrete CPU+GPU.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X