Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring Another Lead Linux Kernel Developer To Work On Their Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Where do you think they get money from for creating hardware and working on Windows drivers?
    from windows customers. did you buy 100 videocards?
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Their Linux support is just pathetic compared to NVIDIA and Intel. Hell, even Qualcomm is working on open source Linux drivers.
    butthurt nvidiot?

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      I'm "running" a Polaris card on Linux and I've had my worst experience of driver instability for (non gaming) computer use in my entire life, across all the many computers I owned or worked with. So much so, that I am now only desperately waiting for any discrete Xe GPU to arrive on the shelves.
      i'm running polaris card and my linux experience is ideal. so the problem is not in polaris
      I'm afraid somebody competent enough to turn the amdgpu driver into something that does not crash the system frequently might just shriek hysterically and hand in his notice after having had his first glance on the hardware documentation that he is supposed to base his work on. Or maybe even earlier, after looking into the history of commit messages.
      so, what did xe hardware documentation and commit history tell you other than you have no clue?

Comment

I'm "running" a Polaris card on Linux and I've had my worst experience of driver instability for (non gaming) computer use in my entire life, across all the many computers I owned or worked with. So much so, that I am now only desperately waiting for any discrete Xe GPU to arrive on the shelves.

I'm afraid somebody competent enough to turn the amdgpu driver into something that does not crash the system frequently might just shriek hysterically and hand in his notice after having had his first glance on the hardware documentation that he is supposed to base his work on. Or maybe even earlier, after looking into the history of commit messages.
        Yeah. Same experience here. Really looking forward to the high performance consumer version of Intel Xe.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
          ... There is probably more people doing crane RGB ligthing than people wanting a GPU tweaking GUI on Linux.
          Spot on. I think RGB is waste of time. They really should put this engineers to other departments. I know some people like this bling bling. No offence I like art so....but it is really hard to put RGB into the category of art.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
            Can you please let us know which card is it and what sort of issues you have with it? Also can you open bug reports about your problems, if you haven't yet?
            This would be helpfull ....because I have exactly the opposite experience with navi10 and vega3 ...rockstable and smooth since kernel 5.3. Maybe you just need the latest Kernel + some more recent Mesa driver?

Comment

Working...
            X