FGLRX Catalyst and Resizing with Desktop Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@bridgman

I hope some devs run KDE 3.5 like in lenny too, I don't like KDE 4 optimisations that result in artefacts on older desktop environments...

Comment

kraftman: it's possible that you have a different problem, as several snarky nvidia users have replied to this ati problem with the suggestion "why don't you just buy an nvidia"

Comment

Does this problem persist in kde 4.2.1? I am very tired of running without composition. Radeonhd doesn't support 3d on my gpu (r600) yet.

Comment

Hello,

i'm running Gentoo with latest working kernel with latest Ati-drivers and kde 4.2.1 and unfortunately, this problem is still present and quite annoying as for now, kde effects are just not usable.

Does anyone know if and when this issue will be fixed ?

Thanks !

---- System ----
          System: Linux 2.6.28-gentoo-r4 x86_64
          CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz 2360MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 HT
          GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 2.1.8494 Release
          System memory: 3961 Mb
          Video memory: 512 Mb

Ati Drivers : Installed versions: 8.582(11:39:07 03/20/09)(acpi kernel_linux -debug)

Comment

I'm just waiting for powerplay in OSS drivers to ditch fglrx

Comment

if you turn off 'show display content in resizing windows' resizing is very fast with the 9.3 drivers. Another thing - menus, especially bookmarks, no pop up without any lag. 9.3 is a huge step forward.

Comment

I don't know if I would call it a huge step forward : I don't see any difference between that driver and the last ones except i can move glxgears without flickering when using compiz.

Opening a new window is still slow
                Maximizing is still slow
                Restoring a window is still slow
                Resizing a window is still slow

So for now, compiz is not usable (nor is kde effects) for me.

I can live with resizing being slow or having to use some weird resizing method in order to get the size i want but not the rest as it's something I use all the time.

Comment

Maximizing and restoring slowness can be solved with a setting of KDE 4 I posted somewhere in this thread.

Comment

catalyst 9.3
                    qt 4.5 or later
                    turn of showing window contents on resizing

and resizing will stop sucking.

Comment

What will suck is the look&feel instead Also, some times I need to resize windows and watch the layout of the contents to decide upon the right size of the window. With disabling the contents while resizing, that can't be done anymore. And that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X