No announcement yet.

FGLRX Catalyst and Resizing with Desktop Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted. But I find it ridiculous to vote for something like that. It's like voting to get basic features done.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Yes, and? We're talking 3GHz multi-core machines here. Not some Pentium 2 300Mhz machine. The drivers have to be written in an incredibly crappy manner to produce this slowness in today's monster machines.

There's no real excuse.
      Exactly. Vista can do similar operations with rapid speed - there are no reasons why Linux/X11 can't do that.

Comment

I've found a tip that seems to make life with fglrx in KDE 4 a little bit less miserable:

In System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> "Advanced" tab, select "Always" in the "Keep window thumbnails" list.

After this, restoring minimized windows is fast. Doesn't fix the slow as hell resizing and maximizing, but restoring minimized windows is always fast even the windows are maximized while minimizing/restoring them.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I voted. But I find it ridiculous to vote for something like that. It's like voting to get basic features done.
          Only that is not a basic feature, regardless of what the crowd may yell. You want your flashy composited windows to be as snappy as what you get with a regular, sane desktop environment.

The worst part is that you won't stop when windows move OK; then it will be that the video doesn't look good when displayed in three corners of a cube, or that your desktop icons are half a pixel off when you have the blur-raining-on-the-rocks plugin on, or that wine+WoW+compiz+latest OGL screensaver somehow crashes your machine, or that the colour of your socks doesn't match that of your KDE gadgets whith the lastest and greatest fglrx.

Comment

Crap! My socks don't match after all. Damn you AMD!

Comment

Hmm, my maximum and resizing windows works very well without compositing. With compositing my resizing is sloow. But hey. Couldn't it just be a bug in the compositing? Without its very fast on my machine.

HD3650 and kde 4.2 on kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by melcar View Post
                crap! My socks don't match after all. Damn you amd!
                i told you!!!

:-)

Comment

It *is* a basic feature. Compositing is now standard in most OSes. OS X, Windows and Linux. If you still like GUIs that look like those from years ago, OK. But today, Vista Aero, OS X Aqua and Linux Desktop Effects is something people take for granted when buying a new graphics card. I didn't pay 300 bucks to get a graphics card that's slow as molasses in Linux with compositing while it's fast as hell in Vista.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                    Only that is not a basic feature, regardless of what the crowd may yell.
                    It's hard to tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. Maybe it's just because I've got a headache. But I put it to you that 2D acceleration IS a basic feature. I'd then take issue with the rest of your points. The reasoning is simple ... ATI developed this driver, justified by the claim that they could do better then the OS crowd. The OS crowd is addressing all the issues you are claiming are not required. I therefore expect ATI's driver to exceed what the OS crowd is doing. Otherwise there is a problem with the original justification for the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      radeonhd supports EXA.. much faster in KDE4,..
                      the FGLRX can only XAA+someAMD-Improvmens..

at this time amd-fglx-devs first see how powerfull exa is becourse in some 2D tests the cheaper-younger-radeonhd win again fglrx by using EXA ...

wait 1-2monts then the fglrx has also EXA and will "flying"
                      I wish I was as optimistic. Maybe in my afterlife I'll see EXA in fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                      X