Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Disables SDMA For Polaris To Fix Corruption Bugs

Phoronix: RadeonSI Disables SDMA For Polaris To Fix Corruption Bugs

For those plagued by OpenGL corruption issues with the RadeonSI driver on Polaris GPUs like the Radeon RX 580, System DMA (SDMA) support is now being disabled as a workaround...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry for the question, but is my understanding correct that Mesa disables SDMA, because the AMDGPU driver has issues or has this to be seen differently?

Comment

What performance loss could we expect from the 2 sdma disabling?

Comment

Disabling and never fixing seems like a trend for AMD. Intel GPUs can't come soon enough...

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post
          Sorry for the question, but is my understanding correct that Mesa disables SDMA, because the AMDGPU driver has issues or has this to be seen differently?
          Not necessarily kernel issue at least with pre-navi parts. More likely some interactions between GFX and SDMA in mesa. On pre-navi parts SDMA and GFX are not cache coherent so there may be some missing synchronizations between the two.

Comment

I wonder what could be done to improve the "debuggability" of these low level driver problems, because DMA seems to be a perennial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
              Disabling and never fixing seems like a trend for AMD. Intel GPUs can't come soon enough...
              Let’s not jump to conclusions here. Sometimes the right thing to do is to disable things that don’t work right or have no future.

No that doesn’t excuse the of software engineering support at AMD but I’m really hoping that their current success results in a much larger software staff. Sales leads to hiring people and the one place that needs staff is in software development.

Comment

Now I understand why so many artifacts are appearing when playing TF2 using an RX570 on Gentoo.

Comment

I did notice some corruption/artifacts when playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on my RX580, no issues at all on all Vulkan games though.

Comment

So this works on Windows but not Linux?

Comment

Working...
                    X