AMD gets beaten by NVidia, any plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's put it this way:

Nvidia is a company that does very good GPU's, they are serious with their drivers support both on Windows and Linux, and even FreeBSD and OpenSolaris. It is safe to say they are the GPU leader on these OS and there isn't much to say about this.
    However: NVIDIA historically makes you pay their cards from 20€ to 50€ more than the same counterpart ATI card.

Also, NVIDIA tries to make you go crazy with the naming of their products to confuse on purpose the customer. It is safe to say they are assholes at doing this and continue to do it.

So, if you are willing to pay more, and know exactly what you are buying, there is no reason on earth a customer should buy ATI instead of NVIDIA, and I'm sorry about this.
    Maybe in future things will change with AMD and their doc releases, but as of today It is safe to say what I just said 2 lines up.

AMD instead, is well known for doing crappy drivers, even on Windows. For the Linux side, in a perfect world, I'de give them a huge fine because releasing hardware without decent driver is like buying a car and the car is missing 2 tires.

So to finish all this, if you are a gamer, yes don't buy AMD cards and don't listen to anyone saying the opposite, you have 0 reasons to buy an AMD card unless it's a money choice.

Me and a lot of other people here, are a sort of dreamers and are waiting to see an open source driver, but a realistic man knows I might have white hair before it gets stable, fast and feature rich.

About the CUDA and Physics issues you are having, I understand you but don't forget we live in a capitalistic world and everyone tries to create something, keep it for them selfs and sell their product to the most people they can. Don't ever forget this, never.
    When you drink Coca Cola, ask yourself why you can't make it yourself exactly with the same taste. Maybe because if they tell you the recipe they wouldn't sell 1 Billions of bottles a year? think about it.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 28 January 2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

ATI was produce the same hype with their Trueform Technology many years ago (games was (characters in games especially) many times better looking with Trueform and nVidia is just sit and wait). Today, there is no
      drivers who support this (it is excluded from drivers, because performance reason i think) so you can't see what i'm talking about (many Quake3 based games can use this extension).

We well see what will be with nVidia Only PhysX Technology after few years. I don't think this will gona be much widely used standard, but if it will then AMD must start to offer something similar.

Comment

strange that anandtech said difference - almost all cards in their christmas buyer guide were from ATI/AMD. Why? oh, wait, drivers not bad enough and most bang/buck.

Comment

read it. ATI beating Nvidia in gpgpu.

Comment

Friday, October 06, 2006?

Comment

and what has changed since then?
              nvidia is still using the same hardware - 8XXX, 9XXX same chips different names. So all the problems stated in that article are still valid.
              Nothing changed in the last two years - and I don't expect the 2XX cards to be really different. Nvidia just increased the transistor count, not a redo of the architecture. S

Comment

NVIDIA's VDPAU does NOT use CUDA so your comparision is really bad. DX 10.1 support is not needed for Linux, NVIDIA supports OpenGL 3 much more complete than ATI does. If you are a Win freak who needed DX 10.1 then use it, but for Linux your comparision is absolutely stupid.

Comment

oh, why are you bringing up vdpau?

and I don't need that. But I do want to use the hardware for computing ....

and which opengl 3 features are missing?

and who brought up physx - which is completly useless in linux?

Comment

on performance side, competitors always want to be better than the other.
                    And this generates the fact that someone may win, but just for short periods of time.

On support side, that was the point of this discussion, there are interpretations.
                    Who thinks that proprietary solutions accessible now are better, and the others that think that open source solutions developed now, are better.

So you are just telling to each others that "in your point of view you are right", but nobody tries to fix some stable point of view, onto which everybody can agree.

You are not discussing: you are speaking to the walls.

Comment

You believe in miracles

Comment

Working...
                      X