AMD gets beaten by NVidia, any plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents:

- CUDA will be obsoleted by multi-vendor standards like OpenCL and DX11 compute shaders. Given that those multi-vendor standards have backing from Nvidia, AMD and Intel there's little reason to use CUDA in the long run.

- Given that games need to run cross-vendor all that PhysX stuff is purely optional, adding little to actual gameplay. And again: As soon as there are non-proprietary ways to do computational stuff on GPUs expect games to use cross-vendor physics engines.

If you need to have that stuff *now* then go ahead, sell your ATI card and get an Nvidia card.

Comment

Originally posted by SavageX View Post
      My two cents:

- CUDA will be obsoleted by multi-vendor standards like OpenCL and DX11 compute shaders. Given that those multi-vendor standards have backing from Nvidia, AMD and Intel there's little reason to use CUDA in the long run.
      I'm talking about now, not the long run. And as I mentioned earlier, DX11 will not work on current hardware.

Given that games need to run cross-vendor all that PhysX stuff is purely optional, adding little to actual gameplay.
      Yes. I can also play in 640x480 with all details set to minimum. That also won't affect gameplay. But obviously, no one wants that.

And again: As soon as there are non-proprietary ways to do computational stuff on GPUs expect games to use cross-vendor physics engines.
      That will take time. NVidia has a solution right now that works and is supported.

If you need to have that stuff *now* then go ahead, sell your ATI card and get an Nvidia card.
      My point exactly.

Comment

Well, even though I can partly understand your frustration (I've replaced my Radeon HD4870 with a new GeForce GTX260 myself) I have to agree with the others here in this thread: your ranting about ATi won't help you in any way. It can feel good to express your frustration in a forum. But then again, what does it change?

Comment

Well, if enough people complain maybe AMD will actually consider being more competitive. I raised some points where NVidia has the upper hand. AMD should look into this. Of course they won't do it just because some Random J. Dude is whining about it here, I'm of course aware of that. But if the outcry is strong enough, who knows? Havok or PhysX and CUDA on ATI hardware too? Can't see it happening, but that's what a big slice of ATI owners would want to see, because NVidia's standards seem more popular right now than open standards.

I could buy a cheap GF9400 for PhysX and CUDA. I considered. But does it work in combination with an ATI (Windows and Linux)?

Comment

You will not be happy with a 9400 for gaming. Everything below 9600 GT is only good for playing videos and old games.

Comment

9400 for *dedicated* PhysX. The 4870 will do the graphics work.

I don't know if this works though. It works with NVidia (obviously). People are speeding up their FPS by using an expensive GF for graphics and getting a cheap one as a dedicated PhysX accelerator, freeing the expensive one from doing any PhysX work. Would be cool if I can swap the expensive GF with my ATI but keep the cheap GF as the dedicated PhysX processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                You will not be happy with a 9400 for gaming. Everything below 9600 GT is only good for playing videos and old games.
                Great... I will have GF 7600 GT tomorrow and I thought that I would be able to catch up on playing some new games... I said before that I won't buy nvidia card anymore, but I had to chose between Ati X1300 and GF 7600 GT so there's nothing to think about, right?

Btw. I wonder if there's significant improvement when using PhysX?

Comment

I got a 40 euro (+4 euro shipping) g31 board, not bad for pci-e... you should return card and get a pci-e board.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Great... I will have GF 7600 GT tomorrow and I thought that I would be able to catch up on playing some new games... I said before that I won't buy nvidia card anymore, but I had to chose between Ati X1300 and GF 7600 GT so there's nothing to think about, right?

The 7600GT is quite a bit faster than X1300, but it cannot accelerate PhysX. That's only possible on newer cards.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post

These cards can't run games, sorry :P Only maybe very old ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X