AMD Ryzen APU Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen APU Stability

This is my first post, but i was wondering what the current state of AMD Ryzen APU stability is, namely the Ryzen 5 2400G, Ryzen 3 2200G, and also the Athlon 200GE, because I am thinking about purchasing one, but I hate windows and love linux. What I like about the APU is that I don't need an extra graphics card, and it seems like the performance on these Ryzen APUs Graphics is exceptional. I am a bit in the dark on this, as I have read on several places that some people are fine with stability and others are not. My question in regards to this is how does it run out of the box on Ubuntu 18.10 (Steam Gaming, Firefox, and others), which I know utilizes kernel 4.18 (not sure about Mesa), and the upcoming Fedora 29, which includes kernel 4.19. Does anyone have a solid answer, or is it depending on motherboard, etc.

Code:
    towo@Ideapad:~$ inxi -SGMI
    System:    Host: Ideapad Kernel: 5.4.0-rc3-amdsystem-towo1 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXQt 0.14.1
               Distro: siduction 18.3.0 Patience - cinnamon - (201811060008)
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81D2 v: Lenovo ideapad 330-15ARR serial: <root required>
               Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: <root required> UEFI: LENOVO v: 7VCN47WW date: 04/25/2019
    Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-rc3-amdsystem-towo1 LLVM 9.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.0-devel
    Info:      Processes: 241 Uptime: 1m Memory: 7.39 GiB used: 1.20 GiB (16.3%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.36
    All is fine here, no problems at all.

Comment

I run a 200GE on a HTPC with Xubuntu and Kodi. I built it with the stock cooler on a mini-ITX board aiming for as little overall system price as possible. It is connected to the TV via the Pulseeight cec adapter and it goes into hibernation, when the TV is switched off. Its uptime is now over a year. Steam runs perfect out of the box and some little games are possible. But I rather use it as a Steam Link to stream the main machine.
      The CPU does not run without cooling but I played with the fancurve to keep the stock cooler on a silent level, so you wont hear it during watching a movie.

Absolutely a great CPU, especially if you look at the price.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
        All is fine here, no problems at all.
        Hello towo2099, thanks for the useful information, although I am not the original poster. Could you please write here the type of the APU used in your Ideapad?

Could you please also tell, how's the video playback in the browser (e. g. Youtube in Firefox)? Does the APU have enough performance (or is the current graphic driver already good enough) to watch 720 or 1080p video in a web browser? There were some problems with Linux graphics driver for the Ryzen-based APUs in the past, that's why I am asking these questions.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ntropy View Post
          Hello ntropy, very nice review here, thanks for the useful information, although I am not the original poster. Could you please tell me tell me what is the chipset type on the MB in your HTPC? And what memory modules (RAM sticks) you are using in your HTPC?

Could you please also tell, how's the video playback in the browser (e. g. YouTube in Firefox)? Does the APU have enough performance (or is the current graphic driver already good enough) to watch 720 or 1080p video in a web browser?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Watching the videos in web browser, that's what users do most in these days. I can eventually live without this, but not the remaining 99%. That's why am I asking about the performance of the video playback in browser on Ryzen-based APUs.

Comment

Working...
            X