X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Why don't you use the unistall feature first? Usually at:

/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    Because I'm using distro builds, so I think when I purge debs all unnessesary files are deleted.

Comment

Depends, the newer Ubuntu packageing works better, it just leaves the /etc/ati dir, which you should purge manually after install. I gave up using the Debian packageing because it was broken by default - I fixed it at the beginning but then never used it again. I don't know of other packages, only those which I use in my script.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        *shrug* when I switched ~6month ago, 2d with nvidia was unbearable slow. With ati it was bearable.
        Yes, because 6 months ago nvidia had weak hw accaleration, AMD had and has almost no 2D accaleration.
        Weak accaleration means some operations were accalerated while others were not, leading to a lot of image-moving between VRAM and normal RAM.
        If nothing is accalerated of course, you don't have this problem

Starting with the 178.70 drivers NVidia released pretty good RENDER/2D accaleration. I am not saying that their driver is without problems, but when it comes to 2D accaleration is probably the best driver arround. It even accalerates RENDER's filter effects (blur, ...) with shaders on GF8+.

And gtkperf is not such a great benchmark anyway - the difference of performance or ondemand as cpu governor is pretty big - with all cards.
        gtkperf is a real-world benchmark. Typical 2D software consumes both, CPU and GPU time, but usually a lot more CPU resources.
        Therefor it pretty well simulates real-world GUI behaviour, so what you get when you work (resize,...) with gtk based programs.
        Last edited by Linuxhippy; 10 January 2009, 06:46 AM.

Comment

a nvidia using friend of mine really loves the nvidia drivers! With them the text in some kde menus (like the one to add plasmoids) is white on white - whatever he does to change that, it does not help .... he is using nouveau now ...

Comment

Then his card must be really old. Most fixes are for GF8+. Older drivers got last update over 6 month ago. Ok, compared to fglrx which supports (in theory) all DX8+ cards you get more updates for fglrx, but the driver quality and feature support (look at VDPAU) is better with NV.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              no, I see the same. With my 8600GT dpms worked, with my HD3870 it does not
              Thanks for the answer. I just installed the radeohd driver and the DPMS works! Unfortunately the radeonhd can't do much else, but at least I know it can work.

Comment

Then his card must be really old. Most fixes are for GF8+. Older drivers got last update over 6 month ago. Ok, compared to fglrx which supports (in theory) all DX8+ cards you get more updates for fglrx, but the driver quality and feature support (look at VDPAU) is better with NV.
                really old - like a 7900 (afaik)?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  After all, that makes the ATI HD series the only modern GPU generation without descent 2D accaleration.
                  - Intel's drivers are EXA based, with full composition and solid support
                  - OpenChrome via drivers accalerate composition
                  - NVidia has introduced an excellent RENDER accaleration in 177.80 drivers, even the reverse engineered nouveau driver accalerated composition.
                  - radeonhd has experimental/unstable/broken accaleration for some composite operations. No idea how long this will take to mature, and I guess it will take even longer to enter fglrx if that should happen at all.
                  the radeon driver has pretty solid EXA/ Render support. It was just the EXA implementation itself holding it back, but with Xserver1.6 everything flies. Just try a Jaunty liveCD.

Comment

Depends, the newer Ubuntu packageing works better, it just leaves the /etc/ati dir, which you should purge manually after install. I gave up using the Debian packageing because it was broken by default - I fixed it at the beginning but then never used it again. I don't know of other packages, only those which I use in my script.
                    Still no luck with fglrx-uninstall.sh and manual remove of /etc/ati. Do you know where are all the fglrx files for manual remove ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                      Still no luck with fglrx-uninstall.sh and manual remove of /etc/ati. Do you know where are all the fglrx files for manual remove ?
                      To get rid of fglrx in Ubuntu open Synaptic and install the Ubuntu fglrx, then uninstall. This will clean up a lot and restore symlinks to default.

I also delete xorg.conf then run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" to generate a clean xorg.conf.

I hope this helps, I change my video a lot, switching between my HD3450 and the onbord G33, because fglrx causes me such grief. I live in hope that radeon, radeonhd and ati all merge into a great open source driver that just works and I can forget fglrx forever.

Comment

Working...
                      X