AMDGPU & RadeonSI Linux Drivers See More Navi Optimizations + Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU & RadeonSI Linux Drivers See More Navi Optimizations + Fixes

Phoronix: AMDGPU & RadeonSI Linux Drivers See More Navi Optimizations + Fixes

It's just not the RADV Vulkan driver seeing lots of Navi activity but the AMDGPU DRM kernel driver and RadeonSI OpenGL Mesa driver are also off to the races in improving their newly-enabled Navi / Radeon RX 5700 series support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am still getting a few hangs on my R9 Fury (more lately, it seems). Risk of Rain 2 is a reliable example.

Someone here told me a while ago (and I can't find the post again... ) that there were a few patches on freedesktop.org that could help with GPU recovery. Are these still planned to land at some point?
    Last edited by M@yeulC; 10 July 2019, 08:21 AM. Reason: Add link to RoR 2 fdo issue

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      I am still getting a few hangs on my R9 Fury (more lately, it seems). Risk of Rain 2 is a reliable example.

Someone here told me a while ago (and I can't find the post again... ) that there were a few patches on freedesktop.org that could help with GPU recovery. Are these still planned to land at some point?
      You can try boot parameter amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 . Not sure about the status for the whole chain...

Comment

Nice! These cards should be well supported by the end of the year.

Comment

nice, michael found a reoccurring news for each and every of the next 14 days ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            nice, michael found a reoccurring news for each and every of the next 14 days ;-)
            I will click on all of them!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              As someone who recently ordered an RX 5700, I think it is nice that Phoronix keeps tabs on how the story is going. If you are not interested, you don't have to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

As someone who recently ordered an RX 5700, I think it is nice that Phoronix keeps tabs on how the story is going. If you are not interested, you don't have to read it.
                But I want to read it, too – I wrote it is nice ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

You can try boot parameter amdgpu.gpu_recovery=1 . Not sure about the status for the whole chain...
                  Here's the situation. Recovery works pretty reliably nowadays, at least with more recent GPUs. It's actually enabled by default with newer GPUs, as far as I remember.

However, a GPU reset currently invalidates all contexts. That means your current X/Wayland session would need to recreate any GL contexts and games would need to recreate any GL or Vulkan contexts, too. In general, this is not implemented (yet?). So the only thing you can do after a hang is switch to another VT, and restart your display manager. Not great, but better than a forced reboot.

It's unfortunately unsafe to keep contexts over a reset, so AMD's drivers don't even try at the moment.

Comment

Michael tildearrow typo at Mesa 10.0, it should be Mesa 20.0

Comment

Working...
                    X