RADV Vulkan Driver Manages Launch-Day Support For AMD Navi 10/12/14 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... the ISA and programming model have changed, but we only changed what we had to.

You will probably see more divergence between GCN and RDNA driver code over time as more optimization happens, but not enough to justify starting a new driver. Most of GFX10 is about HW implementation changes although some of that does bleed through into the programming model.
    speaking of software changes, any commentary on valve's aco compiler?

Comment

Also somewhat entertaining is that this RADV Navi support has beat out AMD's official Vulkan Linux driver "AMDVLK" for Navi support as that is still pending and expected in the days ahead once finishing up its internal/legal reviews.
      This is just plain embarrassing for AMD, and one of the reasons no one takes amdvlk seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Beating AMDVLK in release delay. Nice.
        but maybe amdvlk will be released in better shape, without disabling half of driver

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          but maybe amdvlk will be released in better shape, without disabling half of driver
          Radv hasn't been released, it's in dev code open source in public, merged when we initial patches were reviewed and ready , I expect a couple of weeks for functionality

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            Radv hasn't been released
            it reinforces my point that radv didn't beat anyone yet

Comment

it reinforces my point that radv didn't beat anyone yet
              Well only AMD can write prerelease code, so even having a basic open source driver that can play some games is better than no driver if you care about open source, and not having to use binary drivers.

Comment

Well only AMD can write prerelease code, so even having a basic open source driver that can play some games is better than no driver if you care about open source, and not having to use binary drivers.
                i'm not trying to attack radv, just calming down people declaring victory in clueless ecstasy

Comment

i'm not trying to attack radv, just calming down people declaring victory in clueless ecstasy
                  there is no victory, only zuul.

Really amdvlk not being able to align their IP release for launch day is more indicative of AMD's attitude towards Linux and open source development, they still don't take it seriously, and that's fine, it's just a pity they don't realise radv isn't really competition, and give external devs early access to new hw.

Comment

and give external devs early access to new hw.
                    I've seen people like game engine developers get early access to hardware and I just kinda assumed people like you were treated the same way. Now you're saying that's not the case? I find that quite surprising!

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I've seen people like game engine developers get early access to hardware and I just kinda assumed people like you were treated the same way. Now you're saying that's not the case? I find that quite surprising!
                      We got access 3 days prior to launch, but not officially from AMD, and it wasn't like here's hw for radv bringup. Granted it's easier to just buy things on launch day than navigate the NDAs sometimes :-P

Comment

Working...
                      X