Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDVLK Still Has Some Performance Advantages Over Mesa's Radeon RADV Vulkan Driver, But It's A Good Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Valve supports RADV so it is better for gaming. Valve has more games than phoronix or AMD to test with.
    Valve and AMD are literally the only companies not trying to destroy desktop linux (as long if they are using xfce).
    Change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

AMDVLK is open released, it isn't open developed. You can't particpate in the project at the near the same impact level as a truly open source development project like Mesa. So if you have resources to spend on a driver for Linux and you aren't AMD, radv is the better place to get a return on that investment.

The scales may change, and the vlk project may become open source developed over time, but currently it's not where development happens.
      Given that you are likely in a position to know, do you happen to have any idea how much cross-pollination there is between the two?

Can you and other developers who aren't employed by AMD glean important info from the AMDVLK source thrown over the wall? Can you think of specific instances where having AMDVLK source access has helped improved RADV on certain hardware and games?

Thanks for engaging btw. =)

Comment

While I will applaud the RADV developers for doing a good job, I will also have the point out that after AMDVLK was finally made open source it's basically just a case of NIH* syndrome, which is all too common in the open source world. After all, it was originally created only because AMD decided that it wanted to get a whole bunch of re-factoring and code quality improvement work in before releasing said drivers as open source and thus is was always eventually become pointless.

Now that AMDVLK has been open sourced and is in fairly good condition RADV had in my eyes been reduced to nothing but an unnecessary duplication of effort kept alive by the stubbornness of Dave Airlie.

*Not Invented Here

Comment

Still not enough here to make me want to try AMDVLK as my main Vulkan driver, I would be interested to see how far the open source drivers lag behind the closed at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
            Can you think of specific instances where having AMDVLK source access has helped improved RADV on certain hardware and games?

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              While I will applaud the RADV developers for doing a good job, I will also have the point out that after AMDVLK was finally made open source it's basically just a case of NIH* syndrome, which is all too common in the open source world. After all, it was originally created only because AMD decided that it wanted to get a whole bunch of re-factoring and code quality improvement work in before releasing said drivers as open source and thus is was always eventually become pointless.

Now that AMDVLK has been open sourced and is in fairly good condition RADV had in my eyes been reduced to nothing but an unnecessary duplication of effort kept alive by the stubbornness of Dave Airlie.

*Not Invented Here
              Did you read Dave Airlie's response in #4? Open Released != Open Development. The ball is in AMD's court on this one it would seem?

Comment

I see a good 20 fps improvement for Vulkan games with AMDVLK. No Mans sky for instance even only was playable on AMDVLK a month ago: https://youtu.be/LsqSk-pC8-k
                In Rage 2 I almost get 90 fps on the Vega 10 XT and X4 as well. I have some vids with AMDVLK on my youtube channel, some are with older driver versions tho.

Its great that you do not even have to install it for Vulkan gaming. You just get yourself copies of the new json and icd files, copy it to your respective folders on Arch or Ubuntu and then you start your game by setting VK_ICD_FILENAMES beforehand. It is pretty neat to have a second driver, cause if RADV isnt working you can simply switch. I hope the work on both drivers, continues.

Comment

Vsync in amdvlk is quite broken when fps drop below refreshrate. I wonder how such basic things can remain broken for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

*Not Invented Here
                    lols I haven't contributed to radv in ages. Stop channelling your inner libv

Comment

Originally posted by ntropy View Post
                      I see a good 20 fps improvement for Vulkan games with AMDVLK. No Mans sky for instance even only was playable on AMDVLK a month ago: https://youtu.be/LsqSk-pC8-k
                      In Rage 2 I almost get 90 fps on the Vega 10 XT and X4 as well. I have some vids with AMDVLK on my youtube channel, some are with older driver versions tho.

Its great that you do not even have to install it for Vulkan gaming. You just get yourself copies of the new json and icd files, copy it to your respective folders on Arch or Ubuntu and then you start your game by setting VK_ICD_FILENAMES beforehand. It is pretty neat to have a second driver, cause if RADV isnt working you can simply switch. I hope the work on both drivers, continues.
                      Sounds like you are using pro not vlk

Comment

Working...
                      X