Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Radeon "RADV" Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.1 On Android

Phoronix: The Radeon "RADV" Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.1 On Android

While the Mesa-based Radeon "RADV" Vulkan driver has been exposing Vulkan 1.1 since last year, the upcoming Mesa 19.1 will bring support for Vulkan 1.1 when this driver is active on Android systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this for LinuxOnDEX? Isn't RADV for Radeon devices exclusively? But how can Android meet Radeon graphics in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
      Is this for LinuxOnDEX? Isn't RADV for Radeon devices exclusively? But how can Android meet Radeon graphics in any way?
      LinuxOnDex is obviously only on Samsung android systems, and none of them have AMD. it's all Mali, and that stuff of qualcomm.
      And android is more or less a GNU-less/Linux distribution. It's build around the linux kernel.
      So it should run on any platform provided the framebuffer works and the linux kernel has enabled the android messaging system.
      So you can run android native on intel platforms sporting an AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
        Hm, never heard of Mesa on Android. What's the use case here? How would you even run it? I thought the GPU drivers on Android are more or less a fixed part of the OS.
        Android x86?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
          Hm, never heard of Mesa on Android. What's the use case here? How would you even run it? I thought the GPU drivers on Android are more or less a fixed part of the OS.
          Mesa does nothing else as the others. The Linux Drivers for Intel are in Mesa, so it is required for all the Intel Android Devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Mesa does nothing else as the others. The Linux Drivers for Intel are in Mesa, so it is required for all the Intel Android Devices.
            Actually no. All Android phones that used Intel SOCs in past used proprietary drivers based on same codebase as their Windows drivers. Something might have changed, but few years ago I specifically researched this topic, decompiled libraries they shipped, etc.

Though proprietary userspace drivers still used "i915" kernel.

PS: Please keep in mind I'm talking about Android distribution that OEM use on Intel-based devices and not "Android-x86" which actually use Mesa as far as I know.
            Last edited by SXX⁣; 26 April 2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X