Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Looks Like AMD Is About To Post The Open-Source Radeon "Navi" Driver Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It Looks Like AMD Is About To Post The Open-Source Radeon "Navi" Driver Code

    Phoronix: It Looks Like AMD Is About To Post The Open-Source Radeon "Navi" Driver Code

    It looks like the AMD posting of the open-source Radeon driver enablement code for next-gen "Navi" GPUs is imminent. In fact, the first bits of it quietly were pushed out today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-Navi-GFX1010

  • #2
    You don't need hybrid drivers. Don't AMD offer FOSS dkms module for their latest amdgpu features? So you should be able to apply it to older kernels, until mainline catches up.

    I don't get why this process is still so obscure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks like Computex is gonna be a hoot. 7nm, come on down.

      Comment


      • #4
        Let's hope we won't get another CES 2019-like no-show in the last minute.

        Comment


        • #5
          So the countdown has started.
          And AMD would have gotten away with it if it wans't for meddling Michael!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            You don't need hybrid drivers. Don't AMD offer FOSS dkms module for their latest amdgpu features? So you should be able to apply it to older kernels, until mainline catches up.

            I don't get why this process is still so obscure.
            Because that "hybrid driver" is AMDGPU-Pro and contains proprietary components and DKMS doesn't help when we don't have all of the source code to actually build it.

            FWIW, a lot of it is portable between various Linux OSs and there are PKGBUILDs for Arch for the opencl and amdvlk parts of it. IIRC, one would need to maintain a legacy repository for xorg and whatnot like back in the Catalyst days to use all of AMDGPU-Pro on Arch due to the newer libraries (been a while since I've looked that up so that might not be accurate with the latest release).

            All the kernel bits are in various AMD wip/devel branches until they get accepted into mainline.

            I expect debianxfce to come and explain this a lot more "in depth" than myself.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

              Because that "hybrid driver" is AMDGPU-Pro and contains proprietary components and DKMS doesn't help when we don't have all of the source code to actually build it.
              Who said we don't have the source? From what I've gathered, the source is public. I don't remember where it is though, so someone may be can point it out.
              Last edited by shmerl; 04-24-2019, 05:04 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                agd5f might know where the source is for building dkms module.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  agd5f might know where the source is for building dkms module.
                  I post our dkms trees for every packaged driver release. E.g., 18.50:
                  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...g/?h=amd-18.50

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

                    I post our dkms trees for every packaged driver release. E.g., 18.50:
                    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...g/?h=amd-18.50
                    Thanks! Are there some instructions how to build and use the dkms module though?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X