AMD Sends In Their Initial AMDGPU Driver Updates For Linux 5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Put amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xfffd7fff to the kernel command line to make the powerplay work at 4k60Hz with RX570 and maybe others.

What you do with amdgpu.vm_update_mode, "The default is -1 (Only in large BAR(LB) systems Compute VM tables will be updated by CPU, otherwise 0, never)."

The intel dgpu will be buggy as hell, nobody has resources to test everything and it is the first fast intel dgpu.
    That's the one wattmanGTK suggests for my RX 580 4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael

Huh? I'm on Arch Linux and I have the latest packages of the kernel, mesa and LLVM, I even tried mesa-git and AMD wip kernel. I still get frequent corruption/quirks with glamor, I'm not sure how you can claim that.
      Night before last on Manjaro I discovered that a combination of Linux 5.0.3 to 5.0.5, Mesa 18.3.4, Plasma 5.15.3, and SMPlayer using vdpau would trigger massive screen corruption with my 580 (with and without an undervolt) if I leave a video paused and the screen blanks. Until that bug came up, I had the same experiences as debianxfce. Its happened to me three times at random since the Plasma 5.15.3 update. I have a few more custom things I'd like to revert before I'd call it an official Plasma bug and actually report it.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
        Please file a bug report for this, we need to make as much noise as we can, otherwise they will not fix anything. The developers act like amdgpu is perfect, and it clearly isn't.
        Not true, you very quickly get feedback on amdgpu DDX bugtracker (and fixes too).

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Ah good question. It's only happening for me under X. The 'random garbage rendering' happens every new gtk3 window. The partially-rendered textview content happens semi-regularly. I've just tested for about 5 minutes under Wayland, and can't trigger either of these bugs.

As for the modesetting DDX - what GPU are you using? If you use modesetting for AMD, I believe you lose features, and I'm not sure what the 3D acceleration situation would be. I used to use the modesetting driver when I had an Intel GPU - and it ( and therefore glamor ) certainly worked well in that setup. This is definitely an AMD driver issue ... but as I've just discovered, only under X.

I'd switch to wayland now if I could, but I'm still having 2 major issues:
          • gtk3 menu rendering issues - the 1st menu pop-up is placed partially off-screen, and subsequent pop-ups appear empty
          • compositor crashes kill all X clients
          As I'm developing a gtk3 app that uses menus to navigate between windows, the 1st point is a deal-breaker for me. Oh and the 2nd point is also a deal-breaker for me. Other than these 2 issues, I can see already that Wayland ( this is under Enlightenment, by the way ) is much faster and smoother. Looking forward to it all coming together
          Archlinux here:
          using lcarlier repo for latest everything mesa related
          Gnome 3.32

AMD HD 7700 1GB with an AMD FX 6100: X or Wayland no corruption(using amdgpu not radeon driver)
          AMD RX 470 8GB with a Xeon E3-1231V3: X or Wayland no corruption

DDX used xf86-video-amdgpu-git

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

R9 290 has 320GB/s of memory bandwidth, with lower mclk it is 32GB/s if I am correct. Assuming a 4K monitor, 3840*2160*4*120 = 4GB/s. In theory, the lower mclk has enough bandwidth to feed multiple 4K 120Hz displays. In practice, it may not be enough due to memory contention and overheads, so testing is needed to tell whether it works.
            This is not about bandwidth. This is about the constant time it takes for the power mode (at last for vram) to switch. If your monitors vblank period is shorter then that you can get flickering each time the power mode changes.

Comment

As for the modesetting DDX - what GPU are you using? If you use modesetting for AMD, I believe you lose features, and I'm not sure what the 3D acceleration situation would be. I used to use the modesetting driver when I had an Intel GPU - and it ( and therefore glamor ) certainly worked well in that setup. This is definitely an AMD driver issue ... but as I've just discovered, only under X.
              Adaptive-sync is not supported by modesetting DDX but that is all i am aware of.
              Patched xserver using modesetting DDX can use DRM leases for multiseat with hw acceleration for every seat via 1 GPU.
              That does not work for amdgpu DDX and I could not make it work. Will give it another shot this weekend.

Comment

I've seen the same on my new Ryzen / Vega 10 laptop. New gtk3 windows briefly render a window full of garbage before behaving properly. I'm also seeing rendering glitches in gtktextview and gtksourceview widgets, which is fixed when I drag-select the content.
                Like https://bugs.freedesktop.org/110214 ?

Not sure if it's been reported, but it's hard to see how they wouldn't be aware of it ...
                If something isn't reported, the default assumption has to be nobody else is aware of it.

Are you also using Arch Linux? Is anyone using a different distro seeing these issues? Just to be clear, I'm not trying to blame it on Arch, just narrowing down the circumstances, as it's not happening for everybody. I wonder if it might be related to building xserver with meson, not sure any distro other than Arch is doing that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post

Adaptive-sync is not supported by modesetting DDX but that is all i am aware of.
                  There's also TearFree, just for one more example. The amdgpu driver is generally more polished and robust.

Patched xserver using modesetting DDX can use DRM leases for multiseat with hw acceleration for every seat via 1 GPU.
                  That does not work for amdgpu DDX and I could not make it work.
                  That requires porting at least the DRM_IOCTL_CRTC_QUEUE_SEQUENCE related changes from modesetting as well, maybe more.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I don't understand how [the constant time it takes for the power mode (at last for vram) to switch] is preventing you to manually select the lowest mclk+sclk for non-demanding desktop work with a mid-range or high-end AMD GPU.
                    Sure, if you manually overwrite the auto power management and stick to lower power mode it should work fine. (If not that is a driver bug or developer oversight)
                    It's just the default auto power management setting that force high power mode when switching could cause flickering on your connected screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut View Post

Sure, if you manually overwrite the auto power management and stick to lower power mode it should work fine. (If not that is a driver bug or developer oversight)
                      It's just the default auto power management setting that force high power mode when switching could cause flickering on your connected screens.
                      My apologies for the long post; I'm not yet smart enough to handle attachments or links.

I have an RX 580 with 2 monitors, primary @ 75Hz & secondary @ 60Hz. I have ppfeaturemask set to allow undervolting which is very beneficial for the RX 580. For me, the flickering from automatic memory p-state switching is unbearable; the manual workaround is essential.

Leaning heavily on the thought process behind grmat's amdgpu-fancontrol I've written a similar script to manage the memory p-states. This switches between memory p-states based upon gpu_busy_percent, but only does so very reluctantly. It works well for my situation.

By the way, I'm a long-time lurker; Phoronix is a great resource.

Code:
                      #!/bin/bash

# Copyright George Scorer, March 2019.
                      # You may copy and/or modify and/or use this script as you see fit. There is no warranty of any kind.

# Each memory p-state switch causes a screen flicker. Tweak these variables to match
                      # your personal 'flicker aversion' vs 'efficiency and silence desire' trade-off.
                      # These variables are integers.
                      GPU_BUSY_UP=80                 # The gpu_busy_percent at and above which we consider the gpu is busy
                      GPU_BUSY_DOWN=10               # The gpu_busy_percent at and below which we consider the gpu is idle
                      LOW_MEM_STATE=0                # Choose between 0 & 1
                      STANDARD_SLEEP_INTERVAL=1      # in seconds. How frequently we should poll the core p-state.
                      DOWN_DELAY=10                  # in seconds. How long the gpu should appear to be idle before we drop down.
                      # These variables are floating point.
                      CONCENTRATE_SLEEP_INTERVAL=0.1 # in seconds. How frequently we should poll when we're proposing to jump up.
                      UP_DELAY=0.5                   # in seconds. How long the gpu should appear to be busy before we jump up.

# Sysfs paths here are hardcoded for one amdgpu card at card0; adjust as needed.
                      FILE_PERF_LEVEL=/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
                      FILE_MEM_P_STATE=/sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_mclk
                      FILE_GPU_BUSY_PERCENT=/sys/class/drm/card0/device/gpu_busy_percent

# check for root privileges
                      if [ $UID -ne 0 ]
                      then
                        echo "Writing to sysfs requires root privileges; relaunch as root"
                        exit 1
                      fi

function get_started {
                      # Set gpu performance level control to manual
                      # echo "Setting performance level control to manual"
                        echo "manual" > "$FILE_PERF_LEVEL"

# Read the current gpu busy percentage and set a corresponding initial memory p-state

GPU_BUSY_PERCENT="$(<$FILE_GPU_BUSY_PERCENT)"

if [ "$GPU_BUSY_PERCENT" -ge "$GPU_BUSY_UP" ]; then
                          MEM_P_STATE=2
                        else
                          MEM_P_STATE=$LOW_MEM_STATE
                        fi

echo "$MEM_P_STATE" > "$FILE_MEM_P_STATE"
                        echo "New gpu memory p-state: $MEM_P_STATE"
                        PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE=$MEM_P_STATE
                        SLEEP_INTERVAL=$STANDARD_SLEEP_INTERVAL
                      }

function check_gpu_busy_percent {

GPU_BUSY_PERCENT="$(<$FILE_GPU_BUSY_PERCENT)"

# Propose what the corresponding memory p-state should be
                        OLD_PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE=$PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE
                        PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE=$MEM_P_STATE
                        if [ "$GPU_BUSY_PERCENT" -ge "$GPU_BUSY_UP" ]; then
                          PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE=2
                        elif [ "$GPU_BUSY_PERCENT" -le "$GPU_BUSY_DOWN" ]; then
                          PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE=$LOW_MEM_STATE
                        fi

if [ "$PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE" -eq "$MEM_P_STATE" ]; then
                      #   We're happy in this memory state - go back to sleep
                        else
                      #   We want to change so determine whether we're already counting down.    
                          if [ "$PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE" -ne "$OLD_PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE" ]; then
                      #     Start a new countdown
                            if [ "$PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE" -eq 2 ]; then
                      #       We might be going up; check more frequently to avoid jumping on a spike. (bad)
                              CHANGE_COUNTDOWN=$UP_DELAY
                              SLEEP_INTERVAL=$CONCENTRATE_SLEEP_INTERVAL
                            else
                              CHANGE_COUNTDOWN=$DOWN_DELAY
                            fi
                          else
                            CHANGE_COUNTDOWN=$( echo "$CHANGE_COUNTDOWN - $SLEEP_INTERVAL" | bc )
                          fi

if ((  $( echo "$CHANGE_COUNTDOWN <= 0.0" | bc ) )); then
                      #   The countdown has reached 0 so change the memory p-state.
                            MEM_P_STATE=$PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE
                      #      echo "manual" > "$FILE_PERF_LEVEL"
                            echo "$MEM_P_STATE" > "$FILE_MEM_P_STATE"
                            echo "New gpu memory p-state: $MEM_P_STATE"

fi
                        fi

#   echo "Old  Prop  Mem  Busy %  Countdown"
                      #   echo "  $OLD_PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE     $PROPOSED_MEM_P_STATE    $MEM_P_STATE       $GPU_BUSY_PERCENT         $CHANGE_COUNTDOWN"
                        }

function reset_on_fail {
                        echo "Exiting, setting memory p-state to 2"
                        echo "manual" > "$FILE_PERF_LEVEL"
                        echo "2" > "$FILE_MEM_P_STATE"
                        exit 1
                      }

# always try to fix memory p-state 2 on failure
                      trap "reset_on_fail" SIGINT SIGTERM

function run_daemon {
                        while :; do
                      #   If mem_p_state in sysfs differs from our calculated MEM_P_STATE then restart.
                      #     Causes: external change to power_dpm_force_performance_level, system sleep, a change to display configuration or a commit of a gpu voltage or clock frequency change.
                      #     Note: we're only testing once every $SLEEP_INTERVAL seconds so it might take us a long time to spot a momentary change in mem_p_state.
                          SYS_MEM_P_STATE="$(grep -F '*' $FILE_MEM_P_STATE)"
                          SYS_MEM_P_STATE=${SYS_MEM_P_STATE:0:1}

if [[ $(< $FILE_PERF_LEVEL) != "manual" ]]; then
                            echo "Something's changed memory performance level; taking back control."
                            get_started
                          fi
                          if [[ $MEM_P_STATE != $SYS_MEM_P_STATE ]]; then
                            echo "Something's meddling with gpu memory p-states; taking back control."
                            get_started
                          fi
                          sleep $SLEEP_INTERVAL
                          check_gpu_busy_percent
                        done
                      }

get_started

# start the loop
                      run_daemon

Comment

Working...
                      X