RadeonSI Gets Patches To Finally Tap The Parallel Shader Compile Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets Patches To Finally Tap The Parallel Shader Compile Extensions

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets Patches To Finally Tap The Parallel Shader Compile Extensions

Marek Olšák of AMD has published a set of patches today plumbing in support for Mesa/Gallium3D with the KHR_parallel_shader_compile and ARB_parallel_shader_compile while enabling these parallel shader compile extensions for the RadeonSI Gallium3D OpenGL driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...el-Shader-Comp

Are there any known existing games or engines that will benefit from it on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Are there any known existing games or engines that will benefit from it on Linux?
      Dolphin Emulator (Ubershaders Hybrid or Skip Drawing):

Originally posted by stenzek
      • OpenGL asynchronous compilation is currently done via the ARB_parallel_shader_compile extension, currently only implemented by NVIDIA. We may consider a multi-context approach in the future, but for other vendors, you may wish to use one of the other backends.

Comment

Will this fix shader compiling stuttering ? Does it need game developer intervention or is there a way to optimize old stuff in driver?
        Also, radv and dxvk would likely benefit from this, is there a respective extension defined in vulkan for this?
        Last edited by clapbr; 25 February 2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
          Will this fix shader compiling stuttering ? Does it need game developer intervention or is there a way to optimize old stuff in driver?
          Also, radv and dxvk would likely benefit from this, is there a respective extension defined in vulkan for this?
          This is limited to OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

This is limited to OpenGL.
            I know, I'm asking if there is an extension in vulkan that does the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

I know, I'm asking if there is an extension in vulkan that does the same thing.
              Vulkan doesn't do shader compilation as shaders are already compiled.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Vulkan doesn't do shader compilation as shaders are already compiled.
                Partially complied. Vulkan driver still compiles SPIR-V bytecode into GPU machine code, plus Vulkan application constructs pipelines. dxvk actually does parallelize that.

Comment

Working...
                X