RX580 card, period black screens on 2/3 monitors, for 2-3 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX580 card, period black screens on 2/3 monitors, for 2-3 seconds

I've recently purchased a new XFX RX580 card, and am running it on Fedora 29. I have 3 Dell monitors running at 2560x1440.

Code:
    0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7)
    Code:
    Linux edison 4.19.13-300.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Dec 29 22:54:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Unfortunately, with this setup, periodically and randomly one monitor of the three will go completely black for 2-3 seconds, and then come back. I say randomly because it does not seem to be associated with GPU load, though it does seem happen more often in certain situations, e.g. Google Meet is open and active. When this happens there are no other issues on the system -- no freezes, absolutely nothing in the dmesg or Xorg logs, or really any indication at all that anything is wrong.

Things I have tried:

* The amdgpu Xorg DDX driver, with and without the amdgpu.dc=0 setting
    * The modeset Xorg DDX driver with the amdgpu.dc=0 setting
    * Using plasma-wayland instead of X
    * Swapping monitors and cables, buying new cables
    * Swapping hardware with a new card through RMA with XFX (same exact issue with the new card)

In all cases, the behavior is exactly the same.

Bugs I have filed:

My primary purpose for asking here is to see if anyone has any other ideas for debugging to try, and secondary purpose is to poll opinions on whether this is likely to be a hardware issue with this complete line of cards, in which case I will attempt to return this XFX card and replace it with something completely different), or whether its likely to be a driver issue, in which case I can probably live with the problem in the hope that it will be fixed at some point.

Still happening unfortunately with a newer kernel:

Code:
    Linux edison 5.0.16-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 14 18:27:35 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    It seems to happen most often with Google Hangouts running (but not with much higher resolution YouTube videos).

Comment

I purchased a new RX590 card made by Asus, and no longer have this issue. Seems to be something specific with the XFX RX580 card.

Comment

Michael

I think that dude posting above me is an advertisement.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Michael

I think that dude posting above me is an advertisement.
          Thanks, taken care of.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
          X