ATI 9600 HELP!!!! please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 9600 HELP!!!! please

I have a fresh install of gentoo and am trying to set up xorg. I am having a HELL OF A TIME!! with this dam ati fglrx and was wondering if some one would point me in the right direction. For all I know I might not even be posting in the right place.

The errors are:
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
    (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found
    (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel.
    (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] Failed to get AGP mode!
    (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.
    (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Cannot register with ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

My lspci reads:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]
    01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] (Secondary)
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
    02:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

Anyway, a little help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Bruce.

I don't know if this helps, but I have the same card and X fails to start up with 8.11, with similar errors to yours. I think the same is true for 8.12, but I am not sure. 8.10 works great, though.

Comment

Sorry to be such a noob but when you say 8.11 or 8.10, are you referring to the version of fglrx? Maybe the question should be: Is there a good book that someone completely new to this could read to help get a handle on this kind of thing?

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Comment

The gfx cards is:

lspci -nn|grep 0300

the way you showed it you don't the the pci id.

Comment

Did you compile the necessary agp support for your chipset when you built your kernel? What's the output of 'dmesg | grep agp'? Does /dev/agpgart exist on your system?

Adam

Comment

Thanks. The output of lspci -nn|grep 0300 is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600] [1002:4152] which would be the pci id here just for future reference?

Output of dmesg |grep agp is: nothing zero nada!

Did not see a /dev/agpgart.

So I guess I could take away from this that I don't have agp compiled into the kernel.

Comment

That seems pretty likely, yes.

Try 'sudo modprobe intel_agp' and see if that gives you any errors.

Adam

Comment

1002:4152 is the pci id, ATI=1002, your card is 4152. That ID is in the fglrx driver. It should work when the kernel is properly configured. You need AGP support

CONFIG_AGP=m
                CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m

Comment

I'm sorry to say, I'm at work at the moment. But I did recompile the kernel with agp support <M> and intel_agp <M> before I left to work. So I will be able to continue this when I get home at about 4:00 pm pst. You guys are great! thanks for helping me out.

Bruce.

Comment

Well, I now see agpgart in /dev directory and my dmesg|grep agp now shows agp suport but now when I exit X the monitor goes black and will not return to a prompt. I tried ctrl alt backspace and that doesn't do anything. not sure where to look from here.

Thanks,
                    Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                    X