Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vega 12 Firmware Lands Along With RX 590 Polaris Bits, Updated Zen CPU Microcode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    Anyone else having issues with this ?
    I'm having the same problem here. The screen goes black and the whole system hangs.

Ryzen 7 1800X
    Asrock AB350
    Vega 56
    Kernel 4.19.9

It looks to happen at the point the GPU is initialized so I'm guessing it's the GPU blob rather than the CPU one which is at fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
      I guess I can finally give up the hope for Vulkan and video acceleration at the same time for GCN1.0
      I'm running Vulkan on my Radeon 7870 on Manjaro with AMDGPU driver and kernel 4.14 LTS.

Comment

Ok, so since all three of us are using both ryzen and vega then we need to rule out the cause.
        There is both a cpu microcode update and vega updates https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...mware.git/log/
        I guess I can prepare a custom package updating only one or the other to test.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          I guess I can prepare a custom package updating only one or the other to test.
          Manjaro had an amd-ucode package in unstable today: amd-ucode 20181216.211de16-1 which should contain all the CPU-microcode updates from linux-firmware. (Manjaro has linux-firmware with separate intel-ucode and amd-ucode packages)
          That amd-ucode update works without issues. As soon as I update linux-firmware to 20181216.211de16 the symptoms reoccur. This should mean that the Vega-commits are the faulty ones.

Michael can you reproduce those issues with your Vega - card? It feels like the issues you reported with your RX590 when you got it. No GUI, screens turn off but FANs spin up and system does not respond any more.

Edit: The culprit was found: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...1c89445b6fa84d
          Last edited by BS86; 18 December 2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Problem is fixed with linux firmware 20181218.0f22c85-0 (it has the commit for Vega10 reverted)

Comment

Working...
            X