No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I waited 5minutes for the first 30 seconds. The video is dead slow. And for some reason I am watching flash videos every day and use tvtime which must use xv - and don't get any flickering with effects turned off.

Comment

No flicker with vlc and X11 video output but the cpu up to 40% and the video is very slow.
      With opengl or xv video output the video always flicker.

Comment

On a 2600 Pro, while using a composited desktop, I can play video using xv with no flickering if every other window is minimized. Far from ideal, but definitely an improvement. I'll still probably turn off compositing, though, since video is all I really care about.

Comment

Maybe there is an option in the xorg.conf to optimize the video with xv and compiz enabled ?

Comment

Originally posted by PiOuP View Post
            Maybe there is an option in the xorg.conf to optimize the video with xv and compiz enabled ?
            The same question. Maybe it's in Composite manager (Compiz) itself - I don't know. At least, I no longer see Video flickering, after upgrading to KDE 4.1.3.

Here's my system:
            - Kubuntu 8.10;
            - radeon (as it was with Intrepid by default);
            - Composite effects ON;
            - Players: VLC/MPlayer; Video driver -- Xv everywhere.

It seems to me, the guys from KWin4 team applied some "workaround" to this issue (because I never updated the radeon, but only updated KDE, and the flickering was gone after I upgraded KDE).

Maybe, I'm missing anything.. Can somebody explain why there isn't any flickering with using Xv, although there is no DRI2 yet?

Comment

I get the same problem I've had with all the previous drivers---everything seems dandy at first, and then at some seemingly-random time (could be minutes, could be a whole day) the screen starts to go to garbage and then quickly becomes entirely unusable. I have no idea what sets it off, and I have no idea what useful information I could send as a bug report.

Radeon x1300 pro on Intrepid amd64.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtigyro View Post
                Flickering again. No Compiz, no 3D effects turned on and yet again lots of flickering.
                Just watch this clip - http://vbox7.com/play:a8b71ae3 and be patient, of course. The combination of black on white is very significant.
                Card - Mobility X1600

The good news is that i'm changing my HP nx9420 T7200 Laptop in February.

nVIDIA - GO, GO, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
                No flickering at all here (Ati 4850, catalyst 8.12, native x64 flash alpha, Compiz enabled). I used to have a lot of flickering with flash videos, but either catalyst 8.12 or the native flash plugin cured that.

Edit: catalyst 8.12 actually fixed scrolling in Opera/Firefox to the point where I can leave Compiz enabled all the time. It's not perfect (after 14 months since compiz support was introduced), but every release keeps getting better!
                Last edited by BlackStar; 19 December 2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I don't think that the 64 bit flash uses opengl accel yet. That's 32 bit only.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    I don't think that the 64 bit flash uses opengl accel yet. That's 32 bit only.
                    I don't think I'd like flash to interact with my video card at all.

That said, the latest version available from the archlinux user repos has the "Enable hardware acceleration" tickbox enabled. This probably uses XRender instead of OpenGL (and I have no idea if it works in practice), but it's there.

Comment

dual screen went BIG with 8.11->8.12

I had a working fgrlx 8.11 dual head setup installed on my Ubuntu 8.10 on Thinkpad T60p. The first boot today with 8.12 on it my dual head behavior has changed. I used to be able to maximize a window and it would maximize it to fill the particular screen it belonged to. I use a script with xrandr to setup the dual head. Now it's maximizing to fill BOTH monitors. Exactly what I do NOT want. I do not like my windows to be part on one or the other monitor. They are best independant. A long time ago I used to be able to have dual head with completely independent screens, and I could move stuff between them, and I could have independant virtual workspaces. fglrx seemed to destroy the independant virtual workspace thing a long time ago, and I've given up hope of getting that back, but I hope there is a way to fix this 8.12 issue of maximizing a window to fill both my monitors at once. I may have to sick with 8.11 until 2010 when I get a new work laptop and can hopefully avoid fglrx forever.

-Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                      X