No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that fanless is important. A huge cooler is not so loud and makes the system usually more stable - otherwise you need more system fans

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I don't think that fanless is important. A huge cooler is not so loud and makes the system usually more stable - otherwise you need more system fans
      Yup, or you can always put WC on it ;-) just like I did on my HD4850... cool and quiet

Comment

Originally posted by Odur View Post
        I'm starting to seriously think about buying a Nvidia to replace my HD3870. I still cannot start another X-session (e.g switch user) without a total and unrecoverable freeze of the system. This is bad!

Can anyone recommend me a Nvidia card thats about the same as my HD3870 and that is fanless? I have a PowerColor HD3870 SCS3 now.
        If it is any consolation, I haven't been able to run anything after 8.9 on any version of ubuntu (8.04, 8.10) or recent Fedora. I've been waiting with my processor purchase for AMD to release the 45nm line because the combination with 780G and AMD seemed sweet but now? To add insult to injury, Nvidia has made substantial improvement in accelerated video support on Linux (the only thing I care about) while with ATI it all up there in the big cloud called future release, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by liels View Post
          Can anyone suggest something to help?

After running the

Catalyst 8.12 setup then
          touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf then
          aticonfig --initial then
          reboot

I get this screen

Hitting ctrl+alt+'+' a few times gives me a zoomed version of the same corruption

Ctrl+alt+F2 gets me the VT; nothing obvious (to me) shows up in Xorg.0.log

I've got a Radeon 4650 (passive as if that mattered) and I installed . It's on the intel G45 motherboard (the G45 works well under F10 btw).
          I thought aticonfig --initial only already patches a properly configured xorg.conf, maybe I'm wrong. Have you tried to get a working xorg.conf without doing aticonfig --initial first?

Comment

hybrid crossfire

is there any chance that catalyst will support M780G chipset ?
            because 8.12 give me bios initialize error

for example laptop with this chpiset
            Buy ASUS Laptop M51 Series AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82 4GB Memory 250GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 15.4" Windows Vista Home Premium M51TA-X2 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

thanks

Comment

ati 8.12 doesn't work on radeon 9700. why AMD doesn't fix this problem or why doesn't report on release note "r300 support dropped"? :@

Comment

Just installed, just perfect

On HD 2600 pro (Intrepid) no any drawback, no regressions, everything is more fluid.
                Flag Up, hat down.

BTW - this time I don't create and install deb's because official support for Ubuntu 8.10 announcement, I just plain install the .run file 'sudo ./*****.run'. It just works (I checked versions before and after).

So no more 'blacklisting / whitelisting' and other hacks.
                Last edited by SorinN; 13 December 2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  You could try 8-11 instead or buy nvidia
                  Alas, the 8.11 release notes list the 4800 series as supported but not the 4600.

As to Nvidia, I use 6 and 7-series in my mythboxen, but the G45 might be there. I love the performance in linux and the VDPAU is really fantastic. The lack of any apparent path to a (fully) functional open source driver and the apparently defective design of the 8 & 9 series is a real problem for me right now

Intel chips don't have the horses for what I want, AMD chips tear under linux, and Nvidia chips may well be defective and will be a nasty blob in the kernel indefinitely.

>.<

Comment

I tried this on my ATI Xpress 1100, seemed to work fine, but then I ran KWin's compositing effects, tried to run glxgears, system crashed :/

Comment

Flickering again. No Compiz, no 3D effects turned on and yet again lots of flickering.
                      Just watch this clip - http://vbox7.com/play:a8b71ae3 and be patient, of course. The combination of black on white is very significant.
                      Card - Mobility X1600

The good news is that i'm changing my HP nx9420 T7200 Laptop in February.

nVIDIA - GO, GO, GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X