No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yodash, what the hell are you talking about?

Comment

Does Kano going to create a script for this driver too??

I wont install FGLRX without Kano scripts anymore, its impressive how everything just goes right with that.

But if you do a new script kano please create a proper xorg.conf! (Aticonfig complains a lot about it "Proper device section not found" or something like this)

Anyway this weekend going to give 8.12 a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        yodash, what the hell are you talking about?
        He wants it to be non-glitchy.

I for one am excited about the progress. I believe that next year, graphics driver will be close to on-par with the windows drivers as far as "it just works" goes. For the amount of implemented features in the last year I'm not disappointed to see the driver being still buggy.

On the other hand, the open drivers are making great progress as well. I speculate that they are probably cleaner and better adapted for the Linux environment than fglrx but also under-optimized. This could very well be very untrue but it's just the feeling that I get from the situation.

Though I can't really blame anyone for not wanting ATI on Linux at the present moment. My Phenom 9500 w/ HD3650 DDR2 is unstable when using OpenGL. I'm replacing the 3650 for a 4850 in January hoping that this will resolve the issue. I really want to play Doom3, Nexuiz, Q4, Savage2, Guild Wars on my 56 inch tv Working and intuitive HDMI audio would also be really nice.

I'm not exactly sure if the stability problem is caused by Core3 of my Phenom as it is a common issue. I may also replace the cpu for a Deneb core when they are available at a good consumer price.

Wish me luck :P

Comment

@cjr2k3

It is always the same script, of course it is updated too for that driver and it even installs the .cap file which would not be installed with the standard Ubuntu packageing. I don't know how to use it however Also for now the video overrides are disabled by default in the xorg.conf, but you can of course activate em if needed by uncommenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @cjr2k3

It is always the same script, of course it is updated too for that driver and it even installs the .cap file which would not be installed with the standard Ubuntu packageing. I don't know how to use it however Also for now the video overrides are disabled by default in the xorg.conf, but you can of course activate em if needed by uncommenting.
            Ty for the information. I'll post later (When I get home) what is the error Aticonfig tool gives, since I'm almost sure is not related to video options.

@BlueKoala

My new setup is a phenom X3 with a HD4850 and I have no problems at all. Running Ubuntu 8.10 x64 here. I'm waiting to FGLRX support Crossfire in any OpenGL app so I can put in another HD4850. Still confuses me why is difficult to make Crossfire Generic (I think some optimizations may be made and all, but in non-optimized app just split the frames or one frame for each card?).

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              so, I just installed the new driver and I am pleased. flickering with composite got indeed reduced.
              No downsides so far. No regressions.
              I've been trying to enable composite extensions with my fglrx -- do you know a good web page that explains how to do so? I have it enabled in my xorg.conf but every time I try to start it up (now) using System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects I get the message "The composite extension is not available."

Thanks for any help. At the moment I am happy with the default desktop so it's not a big rush.

Comment

that happens when the driver did not get installed correctly.
                Are you using gentoo?
                if yes:
                shutdown X completly
                eselect opengl set xorg-x11
                emerge -C ati-drivers
                hunt for broken symlinks in /usr/lib64/xorg and opengl
                emerge ati-drivers
                eselect opengl set ati

the problem is, with an update from earlier drivers some symlinks easily break - and eselect is too stupid to deal with broken symlinks - it just stops working. So you get a half complete installation.

Comment

I don't understand the people who post that it works great with compiz or any other compositing system. Maximizing a window or opening a menu takes half a second. Is THAT your idea of great?

Comment

Sigh, 4-5 suspend-cycles with fglrx 8.12 and welcome to black-screen resume. Promptly uninstalled the crap and put radeon GIT snapshot back to work. Suspend is again fast and excellent.

Comment

Well, the one thing this release did is make the fullscreen mythfrontend not garbled garbage, while still being able to load gnome-panel and such. So at least I have a more convenient desktop back there again

My main problem is that the system is on the main TV. I'd love to wait for the 7xx to have Xv video acceleration that didn't tear, and access to AMD's video acceleration for that matter. The issue is, how long will the wait be? We don't have any real idea. My solution is to replace the board until that time; it can go into my son's system, since the onboard video works fine for everything he'd be doing (mostly Tux paint and Same GNOME, that coloured ball game.... he goes nuts for that game).

Here's hoping the next driver delivers one or both

Comment

Working...
                      X