No announcement yet.

WattmanGTK Is A Simple GUI For Radeon Power/Performance Knobs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff does seem buggy at the moment. At least on 4.18 as when I have it enabled it will not change its power state and just sits at the lowest base clocks until I overclock. If I slightly overclock and set it back to stock then scaling works correctly. I have to overclock first though as simply echoing the stock values does not fix the scaling bug. Another annoying bug with it is if I forget to set my overclock back to stock before shutdown then in will hang at some point during the poweroff process with amdgpu errors.

Still I'm fortunate not to have any fan issues with my Tonga card.

On the topic of overclocking amdgpu does anyone know how to do it on boot? It sounds simple but during startup pp_od_clk_voltage does not exist and does not seem to appear until I'm at the log in prompt. I tried various systemd targets for a service and all run before that interface exists.

Comment

You can use bios editor for setting defaults on cards that have a compatible bios editor.
      You can also set fan speeds in the gpu bios.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
        You can use bios editor for setting defaults on cards that have a compatible bios editor.
        You can also set fan speeds in the gpu bios.
        Link to bios editor for linux?

Comment

I managed to undervolt+overclock vega 64 and beat the ROTTR july benchmark by about 10 fps min/max and 5 avg, while using only 20w more total TDP than a 1080. 1080 tdp is 180, I had mine set to 200. I manually set my fan speed to 200 (ranges 0-255). Temps never went 70c:

Comment

doesnt let me edit for some reason. https://i.imgur.com/bdowsSL.png

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post
              Link to bios editor for linux?
              I use "polaris bios editor" there is multiple versions of it on internet. Runs with mono runtime on linux.
              It's what miners use.
              ​​​​​
              you also need the linux atiflash binary for extracting bios from card and for writing bios back to card. Always keep a backup of stock bios if something go wrong.

Comment

Well, he used GTK sooo.... I sure do appreciate this app,but GTK? Really? You made a stupidly -fugly- app.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post

I use "polaris bios editor" there is multiple versions of it on internet. Runs with mono runtime on linux.
                  It's what miners use.
                  ​​​​​
                  you also need the linux atiflash binary for extracting bios from card and for writing bios back to card. Always keep a backup of stock bios if something go wrong.

In Windows, the driver makes a bios check for some Polaris cards (namely RX4xx series) that prevents the use of an edited bios without first patching the driver. Is this also the case with the open source drivers (I have not bothered testing it myself yet)?
                  Last edited by Melcar; 04 November 2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    Yup the fan is my issue right now also. On my MSI GAMING X RX 480 8GB, If you set it to auto, it hangs out at a ridiculous 1600RPM (48% or so). Instead I manually set it to a fixed 20% (975RPM) when not gaming and then set it to "auto" via a script before I start a game as I'll have my headphones on anyway.

rocm-smi --resetprofile
                    rocm-smi --resetclocks
                    rocm-smi --resetfans
                    rocm-smi --setperflevel high

That sets it to 1303/2000, high perf profile, and auto fan. Best I can do for now. rocm-smi has been a great tool for me so far. Unfortunately the sclk and mclk overclock do not work right now (but they fixed it four days ago) so I'm just waiting for the new ROCm release now so I can use it, as I've already added the kernel patch.

Lastly, there's a GitHub issue by someone else, but that feature flag (amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff) gives me artifacts and glitches. Not really sure why some people see this bug and others don't.
                    You are VERY lucky... I would have loved the ability to configure the fan speed manually, even via scripting... Alas, the pmw interface is broken for my card, it is supposed to accept values from 0-255 representing % of fan speed, yet for me it essentially has 2 values only, higher than 199 or lower, with higher the fan is full speed and with lower it is around 150-190 rpm. That's it. So i can't set my fan to a percentage at all.

Comment

I can't lower the memory clock after raising it to maximum...

Comment

Working...
                      X