No announcement yet.

Raven Ridge Isn't Yet Ready To Have GFXOFF & Stutter Mode Flipped On For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven Ridge Isn't Yet Ready To Have GFXOFF & Stutter Mode Flipped On For Linux

Phoronix: Raven Ridge Isn't Yet Ready To Have GFXOFF & Stutter Mode Flipped On For Linux

As part of the big DRM pull request for the next Linux kernel cycle, the AMDGPU driver enabled GFXOFF and Stutter Mode functionality for Raven Ridge. But this power-savings functionality is already being reverted for the next kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

its sad to hear this, mine is really stable and i hope that soon other peoples problems will be fixed

Comment

Mobile raven is such a mess. HP and Acer can't do a proper bioses but it's been more than a year since RR launch

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        its sad to hear this, mine is really stable and i hope that soon other peoples problems will be fixed
        If it's stable on your board, you can still manually enable it by setting the ppfeaturemask module parameter on the kernel command line in grub.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

If it's stable on your board, you can still manually enable it by setting the ppfeaturemask module parameter on the kernel command line in grub.
          Any link for instruction? I would like to test on mobile Raven Ridge.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Any link for instruction? I would like to test on mobile Raven Ridge.
            Append `amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffbfff` to the kernel command line in grub assuming you are using kernel 4.19 or newer.

Comment

as im using a desktop 2400G i prefer to leave it default because power consumption isnt a big concern, also i was talking more about general stability than about this concrete feature

Comment

Please do care to explain what these switches are, and what that the actual features are as well. Since it is not evident from the article, except "power saving". Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post

Please do care to explain what these switches are, and what that the actual features are as well. Since it is not evident from the article, except "power saving". Thanks!
                  The features map to the PP_FEATURE_MASK enum in amd_shared.h:

GFXOFF turns off the gfx block on the GPU when it's idle to save power.

Comment

Thanks, but I was hoping for more layman's term explanation. For example, when I leave my laptop static with screen on but nothing changes ( except maybe clock each minute), does this counts as "idle"?

Comment

Working...
                    X