Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nice Overview Of The ROCm Linux Compute Stack

Phoronix: A Nice Overview Of The ROCm Linux Compute Stack

It's easy to get confused by the Radeon GPU compute stack / OpenCL driver support as there has been multiple offerings over the years from the no longer supported Clover Gallium3D OpenCL driver to a still-maintained PAL-based OpenCL driver to their modern ROCm compute stack. When it comes to ROCm though, besides OpenCL there is also their HCC and HIP approaches and from there support for a variety of frameworks, libraries, etc. Here are some overviews of the current ROCm compute stack those interested...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    AMD HIP effort for convering NVIDIA CUDA code

Comment

I really hope AMD wins with their most open strategy ever.

Comment

Great stuff. ROCm 1.9 runs fine on Debian Sid and upstream kernel now. Personally only need it for OpenCL but I can see how HIP and HCC could be a game changer for a lot of folks.

Comment

I tried compiling ROCm on Monday using this "non-robust" script on 4.18.9-200.fc28.x86_64, I couldn't even get cmake to work (dependencies were fine, some env var was missing IIRC). I'll wait for 1.10 release before trying again. Very exited to develop on an open source stack. :-)

Comment

By the way, will we see some fruits of this investment into the ROCm stack even on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              Great stuff. ROCm 1.9 runs fine on Debian Sid and upstream kernel now. Personally only need it for OpenCL but I can see how HIP and HCC could be a game changer for a lot of folks.
              Wake me when it's actually included in Debian proper and tested against Blender/LuxRender and any other OpenCL enabled app that needs OpenCL 1.2 stack minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                I really hope AMD wins with their most open strategy ever.

Really? I do not think It is best ever. I can see better AMD open sourve strategy in the pasy.

19.04.2006 13:35 Uhr
                AMD kuschelt mit Linux

Auch der Tools-Entwickler soll laut Stellenanzeige nicht nur Linux-Werkzeuge für AMD-Prozessoren entwickeln, sondern auch bei der Prozessoroptimierung für Linux mitarbeiten.

In Dresden möchte AMD offenbar an der Linux-Unterstützung für seine x86_64-Prozessoren feilen – und künftige Prozessorgenerationen auf den Betrieb unter Linux und Xen optimieren.

Das neu gegründete Operating System Research Center (OSRC) in Dresden soll AMDs weltweites Kompetenzentrum in Sachen Betriebssysteme werden und bei der Optimierung kommender AMD-Prozessoren für Linux helfen.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: A Nice Overview Of The ROCm Linux Compute Stack

It's easy to get confused by the Radeon GPU compute stack / OpenCL driver support as there has been multiple offerings over the years from the no longer supported Clover Gallium3D OpenCL driver to a still-maintained PAL-based OpenCL driver to their modern ROCm compute stack. When it comes to ROCm though, besides OpenCL there is also their HCC and HIP approaches and from there support for a variety of frameworks, libraries, etc. Here are some overviews of the current ROCm compute stack those interested...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Stack-Overview
                  Thanks for the sharing

I was thinking that AMD was adapting OpenCL to Torch 7, throughout the base Cientific Language( Lua ), and not a adaptation to other language..
                  This changes a bit, my requirements for Rocm, since I wanted it to use Torch7 on OpenCL( with the real Scientific Lua Language )...

Now I am Confuse, with AMD back and forward..

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post

Really? I do not think It is best ever. I can see better AMD open sourve strategy in the pasy.

19.04.2006 13:35 Uhr
                    AMD kuschelt mit Linux

Auch der Tools-Entwickler soll laut Stellenanzeige nicht nur Linux-Werkzeuge für AMD-Prozessoren entwickeln, sondern auch bei der Prozessoroptimierung für Linux mitarbeiten.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...ux-118161.html

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...en-118445.html
                    Sorry, I meant most open noch, wie sie GPGPU betrifft..
                    Last edited by microcode; 28 September 2018, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X