Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Finally Rolls Out New Linux Patches For Adaptive-Sync / VRR (FreeSync)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Unfortunately I will only take a interest in a AMD APU if they comes out with 8core 16thread version!
    It would make for an pretty nice ITX sized workstation 2700X+VEGA8 :P

Comment

Unfortunately I will only take a interest in a AMD APU if they comes out with 8core 16thread version!
      Maybe in next gen gaming consoles it would be APU something like 2x8 cores and 2x16 threads plus huge GPU in it

@ontopic BTW, It shouldn't hurt someone to edit RadeonFeature page and to add some info about FreeSync, connectors, versions, so what is by the spec supported, what let say via extension, which GPUs supports what 1.0 these GPUs, 2.0 these GPUs+, etc... thing getting a bit complicated by the time

Comment

Yes I'm thinking we may see it with 7nm Zen 2 arch.

Comment

Yes I'm thinking we may see it with 7nm Zen 2 arch.
          Well, If that ray tracing become a thing and for APUs also, then you would need to wait a lot longer ... as seems shit require space, won't be in hardware for smaller (lower end) GPUs.
          Last edited by dungeon; 11 September 2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I don't think AMD needs to focus on making ray tracing a priority, already they have a open source initiative and their FP16 compute is good (double FP32, maybe they can increase it sometime?).

I think NVIDIA is over-investing in this ray tracing stuff even thought they have shown that the games struggle to get 60fps at 1080p with it on, only a complete nvidia shill would sacrifice 4k and/or high fps gameplay for such a feature!

Ray tracing may be the future, but I don't believe the 20 series cards will be it, and maybe not even 30 series cards! The only thing is certain, if you want ray tracing be prepared to pay a HUGH premium for it...

Comment

AMD doing desktop APUs since 2011, so 7 years and these were all the time 4 cores or less at base CPUs. Even without ray tracing i afraid 8 core would require major redesign

And if that ray tracing become a thingy in next 5 years and if require space, i have no idea how they will move to that point with APUs
              Last edited by dungeon; 11 September 2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

8 core just needs more die space, which 7nm offers. That and power efficiencies.

Comment

i am waiting for freesync since yesterday. so nice timing from amd

Comment

Adaptive-Sync support is welcome news. I've had a BenQ monitor with FreeSync support from back when FreeSync first came out. Then BenQ apparently messed up the firmware so I send it back to their repair centre to get a firmware upgrade so I'd have the best FreeSync support when the support eventually dropped.

Unfortunately it's been so long now that the monitor is dying, and it's well out of warranty. There's already what looks like some kind of screen burn-in happening around the edges of the monitor, and it doesn't seem as reliable as it used to be. Hopefully this support makes it to the free software stack before the monitor bites the bullet so I can claim I got some use out of the FreeSync feature I paid a premium for at the time.

Comment

8 core just needs more die space, which 7nm offers. That and power efficiencies.
                      They started designing these APUs decade ago also Cat APUs, with max 4 cores on all of them. So 8 or more would be major step there, it is not that easy it would require redesign for future also, for more than these 8...

In 5 years you will be first to ask for 16 core / 32 thread APU, isn't it? Eventually, plus ray tracing
                      Last edited by dungeon; 11 September 2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X