Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Overdrive not anymore on Linux 4.17?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Overdrive not anymore on Linux 4.17?

Hello,

I've been OC'eing my RX470 since I first bought it, because it has a very good cooler and it's a cheap way to get a few more FPS, but it looks like AMD Overdrive has been disabled for good on Linux 4.17.

When I try to change the pp_mclk_od or pp_sclk_od values the screen flickers a bit like always, giving me the false illusion that the OC was successful, but then when I open the files they still show the value '0' (OC %), and the clocks don't change at all.

Does anyone here have the same issue?

After some digging, found this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ng_with_amdgpu

Since Linux 4.17, it is possible to adjust clocks and voltages of the graphics card via /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage. It is however required to unlock access to it in sysfs by appending the boot parameter amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff.

After this, the range of allowed values must be increased to allow higher clocks than used by default. To allow the maximum GPU clock to be increased by e.g. up to 2%, run:
    echo "2" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od Note: Running cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od does always return either 1 or 0, no matter the value added to it via echo.

Unlike with previous kernel versions, this alone doesn't lead to a higher clock. The values in pp_od_clk_voltage for the pstates have to be adjusted as well. It's a good idea to get the default values as a guidance by simply reading the file. In this example, the default clock is 1196MHz and a range increase by 2% allows up to 1219MHz.

To set the GPU clock for the maximum pstate 7 on a Polaris GPU to 1209MHz and 900mV voltage, run:
    # echo "s 7 1209 900" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage Warning: Double check the entered values, as mistakes might instantly cause fatal hardware damage!

To apply, run
    # echo "c" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    To check if it worked out, read out clocks and voltage under 3D load:
    # watch -n 0.5 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
    To set the allowed maximum power consumption of the GPU to e.g. 50 Watts, run
    # echo 50000000 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/power1_cap
    If the video card bios doesn't provide a maximum value above the default setting, you can only decrease the power limit, but not increase.

Comment

Working...
    X