RadeonSI Gets Support For Enhanced Quality Anti-Aliasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    It'd so much like to see enforcable sparse grid supersampling AA for older games in Wine, it missing kinda ruins Linux for playing older games for me...
    Isn't SGSAA Nvidia-exclusive? If so, then it kinda falls outside the scope of this news, but otherwise I agree, there's nothing more rewarding that forcing some absurd graphics on a really old game running on a new hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by oleyska View Post
      I agree
      8x aa @ 1440P vs no AA on 4K, 4K looks way better and actually runs on my vega.
      What are you playing at 4k on a Vega that actually runs at a decent framerate?

Comment

Originally posted by Faalagorn View Post
        Isn't SGSAA Nvidia-exclusive?
        ATi introduced SGSSAA in 2009 with the HD 5xxx series, making it controllable in their Catalyst Control Center. Nvidia made it available unofficially with Fermi in 2010 via third party tool like Nvidia Inspector. However, Nvidia is better in enforcing it for DX9 titles with deferred rendering. In older or less complex renderers enforcing also works well with AMD.

There are two ways to get SGSSAA: Either an application requests MSAA, but driver applies SGSSAA instead (works also with DX11 and on Nvidia, even 12). Or the application doesn't request any AA and you can completely enforce SGSSAA via driver (works basically only for <=DX9 or old OGL apps and may need compatibility profiles).
        The same two methods apply to AAA/TrSSAA ( supersampling for alphatests with the same sample pattern as MSAA, additionally to MSAA for geometry).

Unfortuantely, it seems AMD broke AAA in their Windows driver and only SGSSAA works anymore. But better that way then the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          ATi introduced SGSSAA in 2009 with the HD 5xxx series, making it controllable in their Catalyst Control Center.
          Thanks for clarifying! I was recently browsing PCGamingWiki and this is what got me confused, but unfortunately it's not extensively researched article that clearly needs some improvements. Quick Google search for SGSSAA returns some Radeon results, so I guess something's got mixed up down the line on that page.

Comment

Working...
          X