No announcement yet.

Compiz With Radeon DRI2 Driver Almost There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@mityukov: That's perfectly normal. Video + Compositing hasn't been a problem for a long time (as long as you're usiing Xv), with the exception of fglrx (though I absolutely know I had it working once...). Xv is always rendered indirectly.
    For glxgears, I assume it's rendered so often that it 'overwrites' the compositing desktop before you see any flickering. I'm no expert on this though, just guessing. Anyway as you already pointed out it still doesn't get redirected, and with more complex 3d-apps you still see flickering.
    Btw, for kde4 users there's a very handy plasmoid called 'toggle compositing' which makes turning compositing on/off very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      @mityukov: That's perfectly normal. Video + Compositing hasn't been a problem for a long time (as long as you're usiing Xv), with the exception of fglrx (though I absolutely know I had it working once...). Xv is always rendered indirectly.
      That's not exactly correct.. At least in my case -- I always had to turn Effects Off (with both Catalyst - when running Hardy, and radeon -- when running Intrepid).

I was occasionally started Video player these weekends, with further realizing, that I haven't turned effects OFF.. And that was surprising.

I'm not sure, but it seems to come usable after updating to KDE 4.1.3.

For glxgears, I assume it's rendered so often that it 'overwrites' the compositing desktop before you see any flickering. I'm no expert on this though, just guessing. Anyway as you already pointed out it still doesn't get redirected, and with more complex 3d-apps you still see flickering.
      I'm going to see what will be if I run something more complex (maybe Google Earth?).

Btw, for kde4 users there's a very handy plasmoid called 'toggle compositing' which makes turning compositing on/off very easy.
      I worked for me in Hardy.. But in Intrepid it caused log-off..

Here's the Bug I filled into launchpad.net:

Binary package hint: plasmoid-toggle-compositing My system: - Kubuntu 8.10; - Video: X1600XT, via radeon driver (or whatever Kubuntu chooses by default for R500 cards; NOT proprietary fglrx) Some extra info: - Enabling/Disabling Desktop Effects via "System Settings :: Display options" works correctly - Installed from repositories yesterday. Current state was "Desktop effects: ON". After installing, clicked plasmoid to disable Effects, and got "Login manager" immediately. Very needed pla...

Comment

Is there a time frame for when this will hit the main branch maybe with an xorg.conf option for enabling it? I would like to try this on my 9500, but if it's going to be within a week or two, I'll just wait for the main branch to be updated.

Comment

Working...
        X