No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.11 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to use it with Ubuntu and want to use dkms (instead of pure installer) use:

dkms will work with Debian too - autoinstalled by script in that case. Note that the unpatched installer has broken --buildpkg Ubuntu because the fglrx kernel module will not work then - check dmesg.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      ok, I found the problem. Had to change x710 to x740 in the ebuild. Well, I should have read and think first, instead of half a douzend upgrade/downgrade cycles. The good thing, it is cold outside, but my room is nice an cozy now
      I can't seem to build the kernel module unless I turn on CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ (Kernel hacking->Magic SysRq key) in the kernel and then recompile it. I tried this with sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r7 and 2.6.27-r2.

Code:
      make -j5 HOSTCC=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc CROSS_COMPILE=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu- LDFLAGS= GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.25-gentoo-r7 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build                  
      make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules                                           
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7'                       
        CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o                                                  
        CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o                                                        
        CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o                                                       
        CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o                                                      
        CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o                                                      
      In file included from /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.c:36:                                      
      include/linux/sysrq.h: In function ?__reterr?:                                      
      include/linux/sysrq.h:66: error: ?EINVAL? undeclared (first use in this function)   
      include/linux/sysrq.h:66: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once  
      include/linux/sysrq.h:66: error: for each function it appears in.)             
      make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o] Error 1                                         
      make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....                                        
      make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.550/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2                                             
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7'                        
      make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
      When CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ is off sysrq.h defines the relevant macros to a stub implementation returning EINVAL. sysrq.h doesn't include anything though (and doesn't define EINVAL by itself) so this might actually be a kernel bug.

Did you change anything else in the ebuild?
      The patch for 2.6.27 ust in the 8.542 ebuild doesn't seem to be needed a anymore.

Originally posted by flami View Post
      I still cant minimize 3d applications.

Back to 8.8.
      Fixed for me with 8.11 and Xorg 8.4 / xorg-server 1.5.2

Also other smaller bugs (Bug 1279 and Bug 1280) that were introduced with 8.9 seem to be fixed either by Catalyst 8.11 or by switching to Xorg 7.4 / xorg-server 1.5.2 / Mesa 7.2.

The OpenGl version string has been bumped to 2.1.8201 with this release.

On the other hand, AIGLX seems to be broken. I don't use compiz though and direct rendering works fine. From the Xorg.0.log:
      Code:
      (EE) AIGLX error: fglrx exports no extensions (/usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driDriverExtensions)                                                    
      (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
      glxinfo also only reports three visuals. This is on Gentoo amd64.

The Catalyst Control Center won't start at all:
      Code:
      $ amdcccle           
      Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xd) in reply type 0x0!
      X Error: 0 0                                          
        Major opcode: 0 ()                                  
        Resource id:  0x0                                   
      Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xd) in reply type 0x0!
      Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xc) in reply type 0x0!
      Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xc) in reply type 0x0!
      X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
        Major opcode: 1 (X_CreateWindow)
        Resource id:  0x5b
      X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
        Extension:    145 (Uknown extension)
        Minor opcode: 7 (Unknown request)
        Resource id:  0x4200002
      Segmentation fault

Comment

At least i'm not the only one with those errors
        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=12, btw, fgl_glxgears works correctly for you?

Comment

All Works perfect for me (openSUSE 11.1 / KDE 4.1, X.Org 7.4 / 2.6.27.5)

Thankfully AMD is a sponsor of openSUSE

Comment

Originally posted by codestation View Post
            At least i'm not the only one with those errors
            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=12, btw, fgl_glxgears works correctly for you?
            No, it's also corrupted for me.

Also:
            - When I set Wine to use pbuffers for d3d the render window never gets updated with 8.11 (not even an initial fill with the background color, just stays whatever was there before. Also, the window deorations briefly appear, but then vanish again. I tested this with TrackMania Nations Forever in windowed mode.

- Any OpengGL application shows junk before the first frame is rendered.

- When an app resizes the screen to something smaller than the desktop and than resizes it when it quits the sometimes(?) some other fullscreen applications will only use the upper left corner of the screen with the size of the last display resolution (Kaffeine (opengl), mplayer (Xv) and even the KDE Menu uses the previous dimensions to position itself.

My specs: Gentoo amd64, Kernel 2.6.25, Xorg 7.4 / X Server 1.5.2, KDE 4.1.3, Radeon HD 4850
            Last edited by dscharrer; 14 November 2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              That release is completely untested with Ubuntu buildscripts and the release notes show:

That's untested crap! intrepid target does not use x740 dir and the Makefile overrides are wrong. Btw. phorogit zip file does show files which are already deleted and the tar.gz does not work even work if you fix the package creation in the xorg-driver-fglrx.in (hint from superm1). So I fixed it minimally invasive now.

That you have to use the 64bit download location is also a joke.

The pointsprites are still missing in gl2benchmark test 3/4 - I guess nobody expected a fix for that anyway...

That release really sucks badly - you need lots of time to debug even the packaging faults and then the driver does not work as expected. So who DID test it? I guess some robots which say: release now!

I agree, and i checked the installer scripts for ubuntu...

when you build for ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy ), 8.04 ( hardy ), 8.10 ( intrepid ) it affects 7.10, 8.04 and 8.10, if you downloaded the file yesterday.... and as for not building the packages, you can successfully install it.

if you can't get fglrx to work, and the dmesg log contains anything like this...
              Code:
              [  317.104334] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_DEBUG_OsDump
              [  317.104762] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_AGP_CopyInfo
              [  317.105181] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_AGP_Available
              [  317.105594] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_IO_MEM_Map
              [  317.105996] fglrx: Unknown symbol fglrx_get_acpi_handles
              [  317.106400] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_STR_Strlen
              [  317.106797] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_PCI_ReadConfigByte
              [  317.107375] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_WAIT_RemoveObject
              [  317.107920] fglrx: Unknown symbol KCL_STR_Strncmp
              uninstall the fglrx packages, and install the using the gui component, seeing as how that works. ( just don't build the packages. )

and when you try to change the driver, run the command...
              Code:
              sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
              and for those who wonder, it is because currently the ubuntu scripts are completely broken...
              kernel-source - broken make.sh
              xorg-driver-fglrx - i didn't test, because i didn't fix make.sh, but the first step is to fix the above problem.

Comment

don't use wine so... but 'my' 3d apps work fine.

Comment

Did anyone try this release with Wine?
                  All d3d(9) applications I start segfault here on exit, even if they only called Direct3DCreate9.... using 8.11 and XServer 1.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                    My 8.10 was from synaptic, so I've uninstalled it with --purge. I think its clean enough (searched for a *fglrx* on / but didnt found anything).

I don't know much about installing fglrx driver, cause I've bought ATI recently, so I've just installed it with this guide
                    but I couldn't make it work.
                    Just to add some (hoping) useful info: before installing 8.11 you need to purge previous version because it seems that 8.11 doesn't ship anymore a "private" version of libdri.so. Previous version of Catalyst made a diversion for libdri.so (shipped by xserver-xorg-core) that 8.11 doesn't revert during upgrade; so, libdri.so remains diverted, but 8.11 doesn't install an alternative version, hence xorg complains about missing DRI extension.

Changing topic, I noticed a new line in my Xrg.0.log!
                    Code:
                    [B](II) fglrx(0): UVD2 feature is available[/B]
                    And my card is a HD2600Pro (pre-UVD2)! Thank you AMD, I'm waiting for an easy way to use bitstream acceleration!

Comment

@meden and @energyman

Well, I think you've missed my last post. I've get my 8.11 working using manual install (sh ati.sh --install). Everything works fine, just amdcccle reports that my OpenGL is from mesa ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X