Catalyst 8.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susikala View Post
    8.11 is working great for me. I'm on Xubuntu 8.10, though I upgraded to jaunty.

Just to inform some of you who had problems with force-pbo / ati-hack disappearing. I don't think this is a driver issue, this is an mplayer issue. You'd better get the latest svn version from debian-multimedia.org instead of the really old versions they have in the debian / ubuntu repositories. The following setting works best for me (HD 3200, AMD780G):

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2,force-pbo,ati-hack

Cheers
    The reason that works is that mplayer sees it as mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2 and ignores the rest, replace the , with : and on 8-11 you get a green screen.

The reason people need the other bits is because for them, that alone while it works, eats loads of Cpu, so HD x264 will become unplayable. For SD or mpeg2 it doesn't matter as much.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck getting crossfire enabled under 8.11 driver?

In my system, X is up and running well. OpenGL hardware rendering is working too. fglrxinfo output as follow:
      Code:
      display: :0.0  screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
      OpenGL version string: 2.1.8201 Release
      My problem is that the crossfire support on the card is not enabled.

The output of "aticonfig --lsa" seems normal:
      Code:
      * 0. 03:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
        1. 04:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

* - Default adapter
      The output of "aticonfig --lscc" read as follow:
      Code:
      Master adapter:  0. 03:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
          Candidates:  none
      The line showing Candidates should be "Candidates: 1. 04:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 4870x2" if crossfire is enabled successfully.

There is also one error (EE) message in /var/log/Xorg.0.conf regarding to crossfire:
      Code:
      (EE) fglrx(0): Can't downgrade to required crossfire configuration, disable CF
      Anyone having the same problem?

System Spec:
      --------------------------------------
      Intel Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
      DDR2-800 2GB x2
      PowerColor HD 4870x2
      Gentoo Linux x86_64 with kernel-2.6.27
      Xorg 7.4 with xorg-server-1.5.2
      fglrx 8.552 (ati proprietary driver 8.11)

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        well, you could try with a non-patched kernel - does that help?
        I just did that and it doesn't work, either. I switched like a thousand kernel options and always got the same heap manager bug. Seems like the driver doesn't like my mainboard...

Anyone out there with the same mainboard as me (-> signature) who got it working?

Comment

@falloutboy, here is my config - I don't have your board, but maybe you can spot a difference.

Comment

hm, you have a 64bit kernel, mine is 32bit...
            If I get really bored on the weekend, maybe I'll try that one as an option, or do a quick 32bit Ubuntu install on a spare partition to rule out using gentoo causing my trouble.
            yeay, sounds like fun ...

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
              hm, you have a 64bit kernel, mine is 32bit...
              If I get really bored on the weekend, maybe I'll try that one as an option, or do a quick 32bit Ubuntu install on a spare partition to rule out using gentoo causing my trouble.
              yeay, sounds like fun ...
              I'm using gentoo on a 32bit system

did you try "#> rm /etc/ati/amdpcsdb && aticonfig --initial"

edit:
              NM module issue has nothing to do with this i am sure...

edit:
              my config http://www.n3cr0.com/config.gz
              Last edited by n3cr0; 19 November 2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

of course do I have a 64bit config. This is the 21st century! 32 is so yester-millenium

Comment

Does someone know why CCC is segfaulting on X.Org 7.4 on 64-bit Gentoo? Or how to enable vsync without CCC?

Comment

if amdcccle segfaults the installation is incomplete. Please visit this bug:

and download the latest ebuild from cvs, if an emerge --sync does not get it for you.

edit: don't download the ebuild or the files from the bug. The url is just for information.

Comment

Well, after a bit of poking to get the driver installed, and upgrading xorg-server and xorg-x11 (and whatever else goes along with all of that!) I must say it's a good release for me. Number one on my list goes to the vanishing of an irritating mouse resolution bug in some games (I suspect it was more of an xorg thing). Either way, much better.
                      I still get:
                      "Xlib: sequence lost (0x10000 > 0xb) in reply type 0x0!"
                      when trying to run amdcccle though. Most people I've seen with that use gentoo (not sure if it's specific to 64bit gentoo or not). Anyone not using gentoo and get that message? It's a minor issue to me personally, but it still interests me sometimes.

-- Should mention that amdcccle has always done that for me, every driver release. Installations always seem to complete just fine for me.
                      Last edited by mirv; 20 November 2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X