AMDGPU Firmware Blobs Updated For Video Encode/Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

If the same microcode was delivered via on-die ROM would it still be software to you ?
    It doesn't matter where software is stored, or even where it's executed. It doesn't even matter how or where it was written. If its bit's are stored on a medium somewhere, then it's software, it doesn't matter how it got there.

EDIT: Even if it was physically written in a fabrication process, or even if it was electrically written in a flash process it doesn't matter at all.
    Last edited by duby229; 19 January 2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Debating semantics. These firmware are technically software but should be treated as part of the hardware due to their very low level.

It's not ME or PSP or anything remotely advanced and complex and dangerous. These things teach a specific silicon circuit how to operate itself.
      I agree fully. It's not hardware, but it is what programs hardware to put it in a useful state. Which I don't have a problem with, it's not a bad thing. It's just that calling firmware itself hardware is technically wrong.
      Last edited by duby229; 19 January 2018, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        It doesn't matter where software is stored, or even where it's executed. If its bit's are stored on a medium somewhere, then it's software.
        Heh, definitions have always been not as precise as you make them look like here.

Fixed logic circuits (i.e. pure non-programmable ICs, no ROMs no microcodes) store the logic in the shape of the circuit itself, would that count as "bits are stored in a medium"?

And if not, what is the difference between the two apart from semantics? In any case you must store the logic that animates the dumb matter in some way. Be it digital firmware or electronic design of the circuits on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Heh, definitions have always been not as precise as you make them look like here.

Fixed logic circuits (i.e. pure non-programmable ICs, no ROMs no microcodes) store the logic in the shape of the circuit itself, would that count as "bits are stored in a medium"?

And if not, what is the difference between the two apart from semantics? In any case you must store the logic that animates the dumb matter in some way. Be it digital firmware or electronic design of the circuits on the board.
          Well, in that case the equivalent of firmware would be the board design. But in that case the board itself would not be firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Why? They make the hardware, they can do with the software what they want.
            Note this hardware is not from AMD is from Qualcomm, AMD just license it hence you have to ask Qualcomm to open source it not AMD since licensees have no legal rights on that side of the coin

Wrong thread lol this was for the secure virtualization article, don't pay attention to this

Comment

Michael any chance of getting a raven ridge laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Michael any chance of getting a raven ridge laptop?
                Doesn't look like any review samples, haven't heard anything......

I plan to get a new laptop this year, but haven't yet seen any compelling Raven Ridge laptop yet (last look only 1 or 2 models...) so it's all a matter whether I first find a compelling Raven Ridge or Intel laptop.... whatever I can find with better build quality and performance vs. price ratio first.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Spend Billions on developing your own products and then effing open it up to your hearts content. Let another company choose through it's legal obligations, patents and more what to do. Please just STFU already about this asinine wish list. No company is going to open up their firmware to allow third parties a leg up on their designs. Move along.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

Why? They make the hardware, they can do with the software what they want.
                    They paid millions for licensing of everything that goes into video, and you think that they can just give it out?

What dream land are you in? They would be sued out of business, or never be able to have licensing deals again...

Yes, it sucks, but there is nothing they can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Well, in that case the equivalent of firmware would be the board design. But in that case the board itself would not be firmware.
                      Wrong answer. I asked what is the difference apart from semantics. This is still semantics.

Comment

Working...
                      X