NVIDIA Offers Update On Their Proposed Unix Device Memory Allocation Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT: If you use a high quality png screenshot, one with nvidia driver and the other with radeonsi, and do a side by side visual comparison at first glance they look similar. But if you begin scanning the images both vertically and horizontally you will notice obviously that nvidia's screenshot is lower quality overall. Not in every aspect but in many.
    Why? What's the reason for that? Are you serious or just joking?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Why? What's the reason for that? Are you serious or just joking?
      https://www.geek.com/games/futuremar...chmark-553361/
      https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thr...marks.1353515/
      https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...delity-again-/

I mean I could keep going. They've been caught doing it dozens, I mean literally dozens of times. Part of it is due to difference of opinions on what an acceptable level of visual fidelity is, and that's fair to a limited extent. But what nVidia does is flat out cheating. Whether you notice it or not, you definitely get lower fidelity on nVidia products. Period.

Comment

https://www.geek.com/games/futuremar...chmark-553361/
        https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thr...marks.1353515/
        https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...delity-again-/

I mean I could keep going. They've been caught doing it dozens, I mean literally dozens of times. Part of it is due to difference of opinions on what an acceptable level of visual fidelity is, and that's fair to a limited extent. But what nVidia does is flat out cheating. Whether you notice it or not, you definitely get lower fidelity on nVidia products. Period.
        Hey, don't be afraid to explain! This reminds me a lot like Oracle, it seems funny...

Does still happen in newer drivers? Any RE?

Comment

Hey, don't be afraid to explain! This reminds me a lot like Oracle, it seems funny...

Does still happen in newer drivers? Any RE?
          Yeah, they're still doing it. I do honestly think they try to make it as imperceptible as possible though. If nvidia ever got sued over it I think they could defend it in a court battle. They could argue on an analogy like, some cars are SUVs, some are sedans and others coups. They could argue that they design their products to meet different market demands just like other industries do. So in that sense it's probably not legally wrong, but imo it definitely is morally wrong.
          Last edited by duby229; 27 September 2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
            Yes, Intel's "just working" drivers still don't have S3TC support enabled by default (resulting in missing textures in many games), and it's 2017
            Just wait a bit more. Patents covering S3 Texture Compression (which are stopping from it being employed in certain drivers) are going to expire in October 2, 2017
            After that date, this particular issue should become moot, if and when drivers are next being updated.

Comment

Yeah, they're still doing it. I do honestly think they try to make it as imperceptible as possible though. If nvidia ever got sued over it I think they could defend it in a court battle. They could argue on an analogy like, some cars are SUVs, some are sedans and others coups. They could argue that they design their products to meet different market demands just like other industries do. So in that sense it's probably not legally wrong, but imo it definitely is morally wrong.
              It would be nice to make an automated test to reveal it and show it to everyone. I would donate to get a catchy and funny domain for it, the site could be in github.io too.

Then it would be funny to see if Nvidia changes it after that and see if others participate in the challenge

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              Just wait a bit more. Patents covering S3 Texture Compression (which are stopping from it being employed in certain drivers) are going to expire in October 2, 2017
              After that date, this particular issue should become moot, if and when drivers are next being updated.
              I'm curious. What patents are? Do you have a list? I could search then in a db, but feel free do make them linked if you want too

Comment

It would be nice to make an automated test to reveal it and show it to everyone. I would donate to get a catchy and funny domain for it, the site could be in github.io too.

Then it would be funny to see if Nvidia changes it after that and see if others participate in the challenge

I'm curious. What patents are? Do you have a list? I could search then in a db, but feel free do make them linked if you want too
                Well. PTS does have the ability to scan for difference between screenshots, but it only works right if you can get it on exactly the same frame, and I think there are only one or two game benchmark profiles where the benchmark options allow that to happen.

Comment

Well. PTS does have the ability to scan for difference between screenshots, but it only works right if you can get it on exactly the same frame, and I think there are only one or two game benchmark profiles where the benchmark options allow that to happen.
                  Uhm. What ones?

Comment

Uhm. What ones?
                    I'm not too sure. I think openarena is one. I haven't used that ability myself, but in years past Micheal used it several times in his articles. It's been a long time since he used it in an article though. You might want to get contact with him and see if he can help you.

Comment

I'm not too sure. I think openarena is one. I haven't used that ability myself, but in years past Micheal used it several times in his articles. It's been a long time since he used it in an article though. You might want to get contact with him and see if he can help you.
                      Let's hope he read this. Why contact him directly? I'm not a premium user...

Comment

Working...
                      X