Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    just like amd
    AMD's driver sucked and was going nowhere. Nvidia doesn't have the same incentive.

Comment

Hi Michael,

thanks for heads up on nVidia driver progress.

To the Trolls, please run "life-upgrade."

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        This shit is taking far too long. And fucks up wayland adoption for many desktops.
        Welcome to Linux. Unless you plan on living at least 200 years, most of your time is spent watching things get ported from technologyA to technologyB to technologyC.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post

Welcome to Linux. Unless you plan on living at least 200 years, most of your time is spent watching things get ported from technologyA to technologyB to technologyC.
          Well in a year or so unless Nvidia changes their policy then the majority of people will be running AMD GPU's, which will be running on the 'proper standards'

The fact AMD have opened their driver means other teams (like Valve) can help them out - i.e -> http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...GPUVis-XDC2017

If I could go back a few months there is no way I would have purchased a Nvidia 1060 and would have waited a month for the rx580
          Last edited by yossarianuk; 21 September 2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
            Or I may choose other vendors like AMD or Intel and don't have such issues - they just work.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Right. Because there's absolutely no other reason to pick a job other than posts on internet forums
              I don't remember suggesting that?

AFAICT, Phoronix is frequented by both RH, KDE, GNOME, X, Wayland, AMD, Intel and NVidia developers (among others). If I worked as a Linux stack driver engineer at NVidia and constantly caught flak from pro FLOSS people about decisions I didn't make/above my pay grade, I perhaps wouldn't enjoy frequenting the forums as much as those engineers who get encouragement because they are allowed to work on FLOSS stuff.

Comment

This shit is taking far too long. And fucks up wayland adoption for many desktops.
                I agree. And I like diversity, not a Gnome monoculture.

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The problem is that people like myself who use an nVidia GPU do not have the option of using Wayland. On top of that, there isn't yet any decent laptops with AMD GPUs to switch to.
                Don't feed the troll. I'm a Nvidia victim too, but this is an Optimus laptop (and it gives double problems sometimes too).

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                you've posted shit several times, it is still shit. some drivers are opensourced, some are written in open manner from the start, sometimes you can release docs and other people will write drivers. nvidia is the only x86 gpu vendor who does nothing of that, but nvidiots still happily eat shit
                Well said! Nvidia is acting very wrong and tried to impose a new standard? What a joke!

Originally posted by unyieldingly View Post

ASUS has one https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/

So does the Alienware 17 http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-...p/dkcwkblg0722

also you can find many cheaper laptops with the low end AMD GPU's

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/88GMY500816
                Too late. I can't buy new laptops like if I buy candy. I must suffer this some time more.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Nvidia has advanced engineers. We know that gnome3 and wayland are garbage.
                You're are funny in a twisted manner, Mr. Troll. Gnome is garbage, things work but get unstable easily and the env is very bloated. The same about KDE.

Originally posted by Guy1524 View Post
                Agreed, gnome 3 is shit. IDK abt wayland though
                Wayland lacks more manpower and more support, it needs to cover all possible users of graphics and look outside Linux too.

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I don't think Chinese companies take that stuff too serious though. Also, nvidia may have stuff in their driver that's licensed from third parties.
                Chinese companies have advanced reverse engineering facilities and personnel, just like every serious and strong company. There's also advanced industrial espionage, something a lot more common than it seems. That's not an issue for them or any other company at all. Also, you comment sounds racist and Trump Lover.
                Last edited by timofonic; 21 September 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevard View Post
                  Or I may choose other vendors like AMD or Intel and don't have such issues - they just work.
                  Yes, Intel's "just working" drivers still don't have S3TC support enabled by default (resulting in missing textures in many games), and it's 2017

NVidia's policy has been bad, no doubt about that, but they were only ones who shipped actually working drivers. I know AMD is catching up and it's great, but I still don't feel like getting an AMD card (e.g. recent Vega has been shipped with broken vulkan) if I can't be sure that I'll get decent 3D support. Seeing how the few modern games that come out on Linux still prefer NVIDIA. For example, both DoW III and Shadow of Mordor claim to not support AMD/Intel at all. X-COM 2 requires MUCH MUCH beefier AMD card than NVidia card to work, and doesn't support Intel at all. These aren't really the only examples. Is it still really fair to claim that AMD or Intel "just work"?

Comment

Jazz Yes it is, because I answered to post that started from:
                    You wrote about games, I wrote about desktop experience in general. Eg. the only vendor that have serious issues with Wayland (or desktop in general) is NVIDIA. I've been using Wayland for some time now on both AMD and Intel systems and it works quite OK. Sure - there are some functionalities missing, but it's nothing driver related. At the same time few friends of mine tried Wayland on NVIDIA GPUs (and closed drivers) and it wasn't the best idea. They are limited to GNOME and even on GNOME this doesn't work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                      Yes, Intel's "just working" drivers still don't have S3TC support enabled by default (resulting in missing textures in many games), and it's 2017

NVidia's policy has been bad, no doubt about that, but they were only ones who shipped actually working drivers. I know AMD is catching up and it's great, but I still don't feel like getting an AMD card (e.g. recent Vega has been shipped with broken vulkan) if I can't be sure that I'll get decent 3D support. Seeing how the few modern games that come out on Linux still prefer NVIDIA. For example, both DoW III and Shadow of Mordor claim to not support AMD/Intel at all. X-COM 2 requires MUCH MUCH beefier AMD card than NVidia card to work, and doesn't support Intel at all. These aren't really the only examples. Is it still really fair to claim that AMD or Intel "just work"?
                      Well, I admit you do make some good points, but a few of them are outdated and need to be re-evaluated by you. The real fact is that radeonsi is very nearly feature complete and is outperforming AMD's proprietary opengl driver. Radv is progressing at least ten times faster than radeonsi did, in large part due to the fact that radeonsi already existed when radv was started. Plus multimonitor support for gamers on nvidia's drivers have been horribly bugged for years and I see no indication at all that multimonitor support will ever be fixed. We are now at a time when many game studio's need to re-evaluate their minimum requirements for the OSS AMD drivers.

Other than these points I do mostly agree with you. For a large majority of circumstances nVidia driver is just fine and will work for almost anybody.

EDIT: If you use a high quality png screenshot, one with nvidia driver and the other with radeonsi, and do a side by side visual comparison at first glance they look similar. But if you begin scanning the images both vertically and horizontally you will notice obviously that nvidia's screenshot is lower quality overall. Not in every aspect but in many.
                      Last edited by duby229; 25 September 2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X