No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Proposal For A New API Better Than GBM Has Already Made Some Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well, nobody is going to use an NVIDIA card with Linux in a couple of years so no biggie.

AMD here I come!

Comment

The title is somewhat ambiguous.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        Oh well, nobody is going to use an NVIDIA card with Linux in a couple of years so no biggie.

AMD here I come!
        IIRC that's what we were saying twelve years ago...

Comment

Well, atleast we're making some progress.

Comment

If all the GBM people agree to create something new, then there must have been room to improve it or make something more future proof. If so, a win for everybody.

Comment

The GBM people were always prepared to improve it. Nobody claimed GBM was complete, sufficient, or a final API/ABI.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Unbelievable. They prefer start a new API instead of supporting GMB. The whole point of people not wanting to use EGLStreams was to not throw away all the work already done. Now Nvidia want people to do even more work by implementing a new API, instead of fixing/implementing what GBM lacks.
                actually the whole point, from what I gathered, was to no support 2 or more code paths since that makes it harder to maintain in time. which of the singular flavours was never written in stone. If there is room for improvement, and also consensus, I say why not? Ofc I own Nvidia, so flame me for being biased

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                  Wait, is EGLStreams actually an improvement over GBM?
                  eglstream doesn't exist, it can't be improvement over something existing

Comment

why does he call gbm an Unix Device Memory API ? gbm already has a name

Comment

Considering that NVIDIA makes the best GPUs on the planet (they are the Intel to ATi's AMD) it makes sense to listen to what NVIDIA says. Love them or hate them they have more market share, more money, more experience and drivers which run on more platforms than AMDs.

Comment

Working...
                      X