Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything about Wayland support?

Comment

I doubt that if there was anything Wayland related in the update he'd rather talk about a random library that is pretty useless for the moment over it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Anything about Wayland support?
        It's pretty clear (to me) by now that there will be no official support before Wayland becomes the default on at least a major Linux distribution. The only question that remains to be answered is whether it will be (close to) day 1 support or it will come after a while.

In other news, if you're genuinely interested in the update, it's as simple as going to geforce.com, finding the release and reading the release notes.

Comment

What's the difference to Debians alternative-System?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
            What's the difference to Debians alternative-System?
            The main difference is that libglvnd allows both drivers to coexist. That means you don't have to blacklist and overwrite one to use the other. It's much cleaner, and you can switch between the two on the fly (in fact both can run at the same time on different screens if you want).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's pretty clear (to me) by now that there will be no official support before Wayland becomes the default on at least a major Linux distribution. The only question that remains to be answered is whether it will be (close to) day 1 support or it will come after a while.

In other news, if you're genuinely interested in the update, it's as simple as going to geforce.com, finding the release and reading the release notes.
              KMS is the default, but no support at this time !

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post

No, I believe Vulkan's own API is already setup for multi-vendor usage and a third party or OS-specific one like this will not be necessary.

Exactly that's what the Vulkan loader will be for, which is offered by Khronos. It will figure out which vendor drivers are present and load the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  libglvnd itself is opensource: https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd

Very exciting news. This should have been done years ago! I wonder if something like this will be used with Vulkan drivers...?
                  Just a note: OpenCL already supports this.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: NVIDIA 361.16 Beta Driver Now Includes Long-Awaited GLVND

NVIDIA's Unix graphics driver team is starting off the new year by releasing their first public beta in the 361 Linux driver series...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...IA-361.16-Beta
                    GLVND is definitely a step in the right direction.

It will most likely allow rendering OpenGL content (games, ...) on nvidia GPU and display the rendered image on a display connected to an AMD APU or to an Intel CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post

KMS is the default, but no support at this time !
                      And the relation of what you just said to Wayland is?

Comment

Working...
                      X