NVIDIA Updates Legacy Drivers For X.Org Server 1.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    whats the problem with amd? is that because their catalyst code its a lot more difficult to modify compared to the nvidia drivers?
    1. The devs working on Catalyst now are mostly newer, and it's been stated that the people that came before them didn't exactly leave a nice code-base (hence the "Omega" releases, releases specifically designed around cleaning up the code-base among other things like bug fixes and performance). That extends to the Linux version as well.

2. With AMDGPU (the proprietary userspace) this will never be a problem. AMDGPU always supports the latest X.org with very minimal effort required on AMD's part. So if you want to always have access to the latest X.org, just get a newer AMD card.

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post

I looked it up on Gnome's bugtracker and it's apparently working since Gnome 3.18 or 3.18.1 or so. See post #120 here:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=728464#c120
      Im not entirely sure if it's the same bug. I'm taking about this one :

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        whats the problem with amd? is that because their catalyst code its a lot more difficult to modify compared to the nvidia drivers?
        There is no problem with AMD, they supports opensource drivers on this opensource operating system - same like Intel. That is what nVidia should do too, but they don't want to.

In addition to native and natural opensource drivers approach, AMD supports also customers which needs Catalyst driver (supporting both open and closed is something that does not happen neither with Intel nor NVIDIA) . Catalyst customers are primarly workstation distros baked by another companies like Red Hat, Novell, Canonical... as those does not release their distros every other day and particulary not on same day as newest kernel/X then it is not high priority.
        Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by matsbtegner View Post
          That GPU is supported by both the 304.xx series as well as the 340.xx series. Which one do you use?
          340 series.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            340 series.
            I'm using that as well on a 9300M GS, I haven't tested VDPAU yet, but I'll probably will this weekend. Ok, 720p VDPAU decoding seems to work.
            Last edited by matsbtegner; 21 November 2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X