Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases "OpenGL 2015" + OpenGL ES 3.2 Linux Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases "OpenGL 2015" + OpenGL ES 3.2 Linux Driver

Well, that didn't take long... Minutes after the embargo lifted on all of the Khronos announcements today that include new OpenGL desktop extensions, NVIDIA has put out a supported beta driver for Windows and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"I haven't heard yet whether AMD is planning a similar Catalyst Linux driver release today. "

Hahahah, so funny!

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
      "I haven't heard yet whether AMD is planning a similar Catalyst Linux driver release today. "

Hahahah, so funny!
      Why hurry, amd/ati users know how to wait, good things need time . In next 5 years they will put some kind of support !

Comment

Interesting that some extensions require Maxwell. It's the first time I've seen a difference in capabilities between the 770gtx that I'm rocking and a more modern GPU. I mean, I'm going to be able to run Directx 12, but not the latest OpenGL spec.

OpenGL > DirectX confirmed

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Interesting that some extensions require Maxwell. It's the first time I've seen a difference in capabilities between the 770gtx that I'm rocking and a more modern GPU. I mean, I'm going to be able to run Directx 12, but not the latest OpenGL spec.

Hardware features such as sparse and bindless textures exposed in OpenGL today go beyond Vulkan/D3D12, where they are not present.

Comment

Probably a good idea to clarify a bit.

Having just woken up, I just misinterpreted the nVidia announcement while trying to figure out where my GTX750 sits. (It's a Maxwell, but it's not a second-generation Maxwell like the 900-series.)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 10 August 2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

You can run DX12, because DX (Direct3D, more precisely) doesn't require all features be supported in hardware. More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

OpenGL > Direct3D mainly because it's cross-platform, not for the reason you stated. OpenGL cannot be better than DirectX as a whole simply because it only covers one area of DirectX and that's Direct3D. It cannot help you with input, as DirectInput does, sound (DirectSound) or networking (DirectPlay). And there's more that's only covered by DirectX components.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You can run DX12, because DX (Direct3D, more precisely) doesn't require all features be supported in hardware. More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

OpenGL > Direct3D mainly because it's cross-platform, not for the reason you stated. OpenGL cannot be better than DirectX as a whole simply because it only covers one area of DirectX and that's Direct3D. It cannot help you with input, as DirectInput does, sound (DirectSound) or networking (DirectPlay). And there's more that's only covered by DirectX components.
                As of dx10 directx is only d3d. Dx9 and below you're correct. dx10 = d3d, dx9 = d3d plus a bunch of other stuff.
                Last edited by duby229; 10 August 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

Why hurry, amd/ati users know how to wait, good things need time . In next 5 years they will put some kind of support !
                  Well, let's look at games actually making use of these drivers. The very first game on Linux utilizing compute shaders that I know of is Shadow of Mordor. OpenGL 4.3 came out three years ago. Only know would we notice if AMD hadn't implemented this OpenGL version in their driver yet.

Comment

Lastly, you need a brand new GeForce 900 "Maxwell" graphics card for handling ARB_post_depth_coverage, ARB_fragment_shader_interlock, ARB_texture_filter_minmax, ARB_sample_locations, ARB_shader_viewport_array_layer, ARB_sparse_texture2, and ARB_sparse_texture_clamp. You can find out all about these new extensions via this page from this morning's article.
                    And what happens with the GTX 750 Ti that I got less than a year ago, Nvidia? Is it already obsolete? Fuck you, this will be my last Nvidia card. I hope you run out of business.

Comment

Working...
                    X