It's Been Three Years Since Linus Torvalds' Huge NVIDIA Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Mir and Wayland will be supported together by EGL extensions, no one knows when ....

From the looks of it, as far as desktop/laptop Linux systems are concerned, Wayland is leaps and bounds ahead of Mir. I can see Mir hitting mobile devices first, but as far as taking over for X beyond just regular ol' Ubuntu, I don't think they have a chance. They jumped ship too quick and wanted to try that piss-against-the-wind stuff when a solution was already in progress.

I would be surprised if any other distro that wasn't Ubuntu and not mobile defaulted to Mir over Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      nVidia's ethernet driver for the adapter included in nforce2.
      Forcedeth wasn't Nvidia's initially, it was a reverse-engineering effort because Nvidia only provided a blob driver. Yeah, a blob for a frikkin ethernet chip. Insane. I get it when it comes to GPUs, they're helluva complex beasts, but an ethernet chip? Nvidia came around then though, dropped their blob and started contributing to forcedeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post

Intel in the future also will require binary firmware blobs for their graphics hardware

Comments ?

No, because I didn't know that, but since I am on the spot in bold (why? haha. Like, absolutely not nonsensical.);

I don't game with Intel graphics. And even if they do, I am not so, idunno, uppity about having a blob here and there. I would love for the whole world to be open source, but that ain't the way it is. You have binary blobs all over your cell phone; going to boycott that too?

Comment

Why, out of nowhere, are my comments being moderated? :\

Comment

Intel in the future also will require binary firmware blobs for their graphics hardware
            How do you know that previous generation of their graphics hardware didn't have same binary firmware in die?

Comment

Comments ?

I would, but apparently it has to go through a screening process first......

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: It's Been Three Years Since Linus Torvalds' Huge NVIDIA Rant

It's been three years since Linus Torvalds did his very public shaming of NVIDIA over their Linux support and called them the worst company he ever dealt with, gave them the finger, etc...

Three years after Torvalds' rant about NVIDIA, what else would you (realistically) like to see NVIDIA do to improve their Linux support?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nt-Three-Years
                While I have to agree on the performance of the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
                However, I really love the approach of AMD with the AMDGPU driver concept.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great for open source, if NVIDIA would adapt it and do the same.

To hope, that they eventually even be working with AMD on "standards" might be a bit too much to wish! :-)

Comment

Three years after Torvalds' rant about NVIDIA, what else would you (realistically) like to see NVIDIA do to improve their Linux support?
                  Which is funny is that nvidia used in the past to offer open source drivers (although not for GPU).

As said, Intel, AMD & Nvidia all require (or will in a near future) binary firmware blobs and I think AFAIK GPU is not the only part of our computers that needs such beast.

But what I really want to see from Nvidia regarding Linux (and any POS*X/UN*X system such as *BSD and OS X) is a couple of things such as :

- Full and up-to-date OpenCL support (e.g. 2.x, althought Windows side is not better served on that topic)
                  - Optimus Support
                  - Maximus Support
                  - 3D vision
                  - a more advanced support of compilers for offloading (this is happening by the way but slowly with GCC 5.x)

So Nvidia, if you read this forum...
                  Last edited by adakite; 18 June 2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Optimus out-of-the-box is what I am missing more today.

It may be easy to install but for a beginner it is awkward. The performance should also be the same as on Windows, which is far to be the case, considering both Optimus and Primus eat fps...

By the way every Linux OS using Optimus should have a menu/option/checkbox that would indicate : "Run this program with the dedicated graphic card"
                    I can't believe we have to run command lines in 2015 for desktop use.
                    (Do not mistake me, I run commands all the day but how can a Linux beginner understand those optimus / primus / anus stuff... this is just madness.)

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                      Optimus out-of-the-box is what I am missing more today.

It may be easy to install but for a beginner it is awkward. The performance should also be the same as on Windows, which is far to be the case, considering both Optimus and Primus eat fps...

By the way every Linux OS using Optimus should have a menu/option/checkbox that would indicate : "Run this program with the dedicated graphic card"
                      I can't believe we have to run command lines in 2015 for desktop use.
                      (Do not mistake me, I run commands all the day but how can a Linux beginner understand those optimus / primus / anus stuff... this is just madness.)

Actually OS X does offer such feature for Nvidia GPU (as well as AMD's by the way). So this is clearly possible beyond Windows world.

Comment

Working...
                      X