NVIDIA Presents Its Driver Plans To Support Mir/Wayland & KMS On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    And therefore you draw the conclusion that any of the other distributions has to have a market share > 40%? Nothing is busted here, you are lying to yourself. The one fact we can get from that statistics is that Ubuntu has a market share of about 40%.

I don't want to and I don't need to because I really don't care and there are other statistics to look at.

Just look at the Steam statistics which happens to be in line with the Wikipedia statistics and is not based on user agent strings but on exact meassurement. So we already have at least two independent statistics which show approximately the same value.

I really don't give a shit about the market share of individual distributions. I just wanted to point out that many people on this forum are lying to themselves.

Believe whatever you want to believe, I really don't care.
    You're the one drawing conclusions here... I said
    All we know from that statistic is that Ubuntu holds approximately 40% of the linux desktop market share for the number of page requests sent to wikimedia. No conclusion can be drawn on the market share of any other distro.
    or to put it another way: We don't know what we don't know.

Acting like endman and pretending that you can draw any sort of relative conclusion off of data with a high unknown value (in this case ~55%) is just plain disingenous. Is it likely some other distro family (keep in mind that the ubuntu user agent appears not just on Ubuntu proper but also it's derivatives) has 40% share or more? probably not, but it's absolutely possible. On the other hand it's quite likely that the majority count isn't nearly as decisive as you want to make it out to be.

Comment

I would figure that ChromeOS would by far be the #1 consumer distro out there.

Comment

And therefore you draw the conclusion that any of the other distributions has to have a market share > 40%? Nothing is busted here, you are lying to yourself. The one fact we can get from that statistics is that Ubuntu has a market share of about 40%.

I don't want to and I don't need to because I really don't care and there are other statistics to look at.

Just look at the Steam statistics which happens to be in line with the Wikipedia statistics and is not based on user agent strings but on exact meassurement. So we already have at least two independent statistics which show approximately the same value.

I really don't give a shit about the market share of individual distributions. I just wanted to point out that many people on this forum are lying to themselves.

Believe whatever you want to believe, I really don't care.
        Steam survey has a bias that Ubuntu is the officially supported platform. Even then, we can observe that Mint amount to approx 20% of "Ubuntu + Mint" volume, probably slightly higher outside steam.
        This is important because Mint user agent returns Ubuntu as well.
        Given the wikimedia stats, we can wild guess something like 30% Ubuntu, 10% Mint, 60% other distros.

Given that there are also KDE and Gnome versions of Ubuntu, I would put "pure" Ubuntu in the 25%-30% range. Really most likely the biggest player, but in Mir/Wayland context for example, they are clearly in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I would figure that ChromeOS would by far be the #1 consumer distro out there.
          it is the no.1 consumer linux distro

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            it is the no.1 consumer linux distro
            What about Android?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              What about Android?
              in laptops for Linux ChromeOS no.1 and we all know Android is king for Phones etc but the funny part is many people buy Chromebooks and install regular linux desktops on them

Comment

NVIDIA Presents Its Drivers Plans

Hi, I have heard about this, that to support EGL outside of X11 and to propose new EGL extensions for better driver interoperability with Wayland, NVIDIA is in someway improve the design of their Linux graphics driver. Anyway, this seems to be a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                  I don't even like ubuntu but you're in a dream world. Ubuntu is the only distro non Linux people have heard of. It's on the rise in usage.
                  maybe in your alternative reality, but here that distro is called android and it has ten digits installed base.

Comment

This really reminds me of people who can not accept that Linux has a market share of 1-2%. They make up ridiculous arguments, while ignoring the fact that muliple, _independent_ statistics come to the same conclusion.

You might not like it but it is what it is.
                    you are living in some fantasy world. linux is selling in ~billion(and growing) smartphones per year, which is far better than all other oses combined.
                    Last edited by pal666; 13 October 2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      You're the one drawing conclusions here... I said

or to put it another way: We don't know what we don't know.

Acting like endman and pretending that you can draw any sort of relative conclusion off of data with a high unknown value (in this case ~55%) is just plain disingenous. Is it likely some other distro family (keep in mind that the ubuntu user agent appears not just on Ubuntu proper but also it's derivatives) has 40% share or more? probably not, but it's absolutely possible. On the other hand it's quite likely that the majority count isn't nearly as decisive as you want to make it out to be.
                      You're still talking about user agents and continue to ignore the Steam stats because they are inconvenient. Guess what, I just stumbled upon another independent source which is in line with the other two statistics. Now we have three independent sources all pointing towards the same conclusion. Have fun:

A tweet sent out by the Unity engine folks earlier about their stats page mentions that all Unity games automatically send your data to them on the first launch. This is interesting and worrying.

Comment

Working...
                      X