No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Presents Its Driver Plans To Support Mir/Wayland & KMS On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this will mean I can get nice readable console terminals in 1920x1080 without giving up the performance of the closed driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
      Hmm, let's look at some more sources:

41% Ubuntu 14.04 x64
      6% Ubuntu 14.04

About half of the Linux Userbase on Steam uses Ubuntu, not counting the other Ubuntu versions.

You think that's because Ubuntu is the officially supported distribution? Then let's look at Wikipedia:

Again, the same picture. So at least when it comes to the desktop, Ubuntu is by far the most popular distribution.

I'm sure when you look at servers, RedHat or Debian will be number one. The majority of servers however don't need an Nvidia card nor the Nvidia driver.
      I wonder how much misreporting is going on with those wikimedia stats given that "Linux, Other" is the single largest category

If it's going based off of user agent I'm running openSUSE which is reporting
      Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.94 Safari/537.36
      for chrome
      and
      Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
      for firefox
      so....
      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 11 October 2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Fedora 20 reports
        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
        with firefox
        and
        Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.21 (KHTML, like Gecko) rekonq/2.4.2 Safari/537.21
        with Rekonq

I'll spin up a mageia, debian, and slackware VM in a bit and report back on those, because I suspect almost everyone that's not ubuntu is being dumped into the other box or running an older version.

Comment

okay yeah it's based on User Agent
          The following overview of page requests by operating system is based on the user agent information that accompanies most server requests.
          Please note that agent information does not follow strict guidelines and some programs may provide wrong information on purpose.
          This report ignores all requests where agent information is missing, or contains any of the following: bot, crawl(er) or spider.
          and is measured by number of server requests, which additionally means that usage profiles have to be taken into consideration

which still leaves Steam as our only semi-accurate source of user statistics

Comment

It's really cool that Nvidia is striving to implement most of it by creating reusable EGL building blocks. The future is looking bright.

Comment

Hmm, let's look at some more sources:

41% Ubuntu 14.04 x64
              6% Ubuntu 14.04

About half of the Linux Userbase on Steam uses Ubuntu, not counting the other Ubuntu versions.
              And what fraction of those are using vanilla Ubuntu, and what fraction are using a variant (most, if not all, of which will not use Mir)?

Comment

Okay so User Agents for: Fedora, openSUSE, Debian, Slackware, and Mageia all do not report the distro
                Ubuntu and derivatives all report: Linux; Ubuntu

If someone wants to test Gentoo and Arch feel free

But I call this statistic busted. All we know from that statistic is that Ubuntu holds approximately 40% of the linux desktop market share for the number of page requests sent to wikimedia. No conclusion can be drawn on the market share of any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  But I call this statistic busted. All we know from that statistic is that Ubuntu holds approximately 40% of the linux desktop market share for the number of page requests sent to wikimedia. No conclusion can be drawn on the market share of any other distro.
                  This really reminds me of people who can not accept that Linux has a market share of 1-2%. They make up ridiculous arguments, while ignoring the fact that muliple, _independent_ statistics come to the same conclusion.

You might not like it but it is what it is.

Comment

This really reminds me of people who can not accept that Linux has a market share of 1-2%. They make up ridiculous arguments, while ignoring the fact that muliple, _independent_ statistics come to the same conclusion.

You might not like it but it is what it is.
                    You might not like that user agent statistics are busted but it is what it is. There's a reason that the Linux Other usershare number is so high, and it's because nobody but Ubuntu and it's derivatives (as well as possibly Gentoo and Arch, I didn't test them) reports the distribution in their user agent string. If you want to test that out for yourself go right ahead and you'll see I'm right.

If you can't accept this objective fact then you're the one showing intellectual dishonesty here.

Comment

You might not like that user agent statistics are busted but it is what it is. There's a reason that the Linux Other usershare number is so high, and it's because nobody but Ubuntu and it's derivatives (as well as possibly Gentoo and Arch, I didn't test them) reports the distribution in their user agent string.
                      And therefore you draw the conclusion that any of the other distributions has to have a market share > 40%? Nothing is busted here, you are lying to yourself. The one fact we can get from that statistics is that Ubuntu has a market share of about 40%.

If you want to test that out for yourself go right ahead and you'll see I'm right.
                      I don't want to and I don't need to because I really don't care and there are other statistics to look at.

Just look at the Steam statistics which happens to be in line with the Wikipedia statistics and is not based on user agent strings but on exact meassurement. So we already have at least two independent statistics which show approximately the same value.

I really don't give a shit about the market share of individual distributions. I just wanted to point out that many people on this forum are lying to themselves.

Believe whatever you want to believe, I really don't care.

Comment

Working...
                      X