No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Is "Taking Linux Gaming Serious"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They would need to add some developers to nouveau before I would ever buy a Nvidia card again. I know some people say they use the Nvidia proprietary drivers because the just work but honestly I wouldn't be using Linux if thats all I cared about.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
      Kernel Mode Setting!!
      You can always spot a machine with a proprietary gpu driver booting by the butt-ugly bootsplash resolution and tty transitions.
      Debugging of kernel panic also depends on this; proprietary gpu users just get a frozen screen with no information. Joking aside, a blue screen is much better from a usability prespective than a freeze.
      +1 +1 +1 +1 !!!

Comment

KMS
        EGL
        Mantle

Comment

UEFI support

Believe it or not, Nvidia doesn't support UEFI on linux. UEFI requires a framebuffer, efi, which nvidia doesn't support. So if you boot with UEFI, you'll get a black screen until X starts (if it works), and a black screen if you change TTY.

Comment

Originally posted by z0id View Post
            Believe it or not, Nvidia doesn't support UEFI on linux. UEFI requires a framebuffer, efi, which nvidia doesn't support. So if you boot with UEFI, you'll get a black screen until X starts (if it works), and a black screen if you change TTY.
            WTF? With fglrx it works flawlessly...
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
              They would need to add some developers to nouveau before I would ever buy a Nvidia card again. I know some people say they use the Nvidia proprietary drivers because the just work but honestly I wouldn't be using Linux if thats all I cared about.
              I intend to switch to AMD at some point next year for the sake of using open source drivers. Still, the performance needs to be there as well, and needs to keep improving at that. There's a chance that Nvidia will get my money as my GTX 570 has given me no issues whatsoever while AMD cards seem to crap on more people than they make happy.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                Shadowplay, PhysX (GPU port, not CPU), Gsync, and optimus are all things I want on Linux.
                Shouldn't they get Shadowplay to capture more than one resolution and out of Beta before wasting time supporting any pie in the sky port?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                  I intend to switch to AMD at some point next year for the sake of using open source drivers. Still, the performance needs to be there as well, and needs to keep improving at that. There's a chance that Nvidia will get my money as my GTX 570 has given me no issues whatsoever while AMD cards seem to crap on more people than they make happy.
                  I would be happy using the closed source drivers when performance was needed as long as I knew Nvidia was at least putting some funds into the open drivers. Personally I've had no problem with AMD cards.

Comment

Since SteamOS is concentrating on putting Linux onto your home theater system, it would be nice to have HDMI-CEC support via libcec without resorting to dongles.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      Shouldn't they get Shadowplay to capture more than one resolution and out of Beta before wasting time supporting any pie in the sky port?
                      I would say Physx and Optimus support would be needed before more resolution support in Shadowplay capture. 1080p is just fine for most of the systems out there and 4k won't become common for quite a few years yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X