Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Updates Legacy Driver For Decade-Old GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA Updates Legacy Driver For Decade-Old GPUs

NVIDIA released yesterday the 331.20 Linux graphics driver update that stabilizes the R331 Linux driver with new features like EGL, modern Linux kernel support, a new frame-buffer capture library, and plenty of other features. Following that, NVIDIA has now released an updated legacy driver for the GeForce 6/7 series graphics cards that are the better part of a decade old...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OK you can call me a NVIDIA fanboy now. Still getting support for my 6150Go in my old laptop.

Comment

Huh 6 and 7 are legacy? Okay, but what is NV11 and NV20 (Geforce 2 MX and Geforce 3) then? God bless free driver stacks. Once they are there they last for really long times. No enterprise comes and says oh no, throw it away it's not supported anymore. Okay, I admit that after 20 or more years Linus comes and says we don't support i386. Still, this is much longer support for hardware that might actually still be in use.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        NV11 and NV20 (Geforce 2 MX and Geforce 3) then?
        Is this in a machine that you use for everyday work?

Comment

Your move, AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            Your move, AMD.
            Agreed.

Comment

With this pace of support I will never blame Nvidia for not supporting open-source drivers.

Comment

And here's me stuck on Debian Squeeze because i can't get fglrx to work well enough on Wheezy due to my Radeon 4650 AGP being relegated to a legacy driver that doesn't work, grrr!

Comment

Originally posted by mr_marmalade View Post
                  And here's me stuck on Debian Squeeze because i can't get fglrx to work well enough on Wheezy due to my Radeon 4650 AGP being relegated to a legacy driver that doesn't work, grrr!
                  Or me that I am stuck to Ubuntu 12.04, because fglrx is not available in 12.10, 13.04 or 13.10 and the same time the open driver is always missing something (not only performance-wise). In 12.10 and 13.04 after suspend HDMI audio stop working (launchpad bug #1237105) and in 13.10 except that HDMI audio needs xrandr to be enabled, when you finally enable it video playback speed is x4 the real speed (launchpad bug #1239233).

If I had Nvidia 8600 (same age) for example I could use the latest Nvidia drivers and my card would work the same way it does in Windows.

Comment

I had a GeForce 6800 AGP before the Radeon 4650 & these new drivers from nVidia would even have make it work with the latest kernels & Xorg servers! I hope that AMD will bring out better legacy fglrx drivers but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                    X