Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Reportedly Working On A Unified EGL Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Reportedly Working On A Unified EGL Driver

A Canonical developer has posted on his blog about alleged improvements they are working on NVIDIA with to benefit the Mir Display Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well they did recently post a job opening for Linux Software Engineers, so they are hiring.

In other news, it also appears the 319.xx branch will be the last for the 2.4 kernel.

Comment

We already knew that ...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: NVIDIA Reportedly Working On A Unified EGL Driver

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMTI
      The article you link to http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE5MTU (GLX considered deprecated) from September 2012 states:

Andy Ritger then said that while the NVIDIA Tegra driver supports EGL, the NVIDIA GeForce Linux graphics driver will be working on proper EGL support for the near future.

Comment

This gives me hope.

If Nvidia can truly create a Display Server agnostic EGL-based driver (and AMD can follow suit), then commercial games, and applications like Blender which work much better on, or require proprietary drivers will actually have a realistic chance at supporting both Wayland and Mir based Linux systems.

Comment

This will hurt the Open Source community

"For the closed-source desktop drivers: We are in active conversations with GPU vendors to enable Mir on those drivers/GPUs, too. [Updated] More to this, we are working together with NVIDIA towards a more unified driver model sitting on top of EGL."

For all those who don't understand, I don't want to be *forced* to use binary drivers because vendors will be happy to close up their driver code again, putting me into a black box. I *DON'T* want to live in a Windows world of no control over what runs on my systems!

Mir will undermine *ALL THE WORK* that's been done to get vendors to open source their drivers and allow for both Linux and *BSD communities the ability to use open source drivers.

If EGL support is added, this may benefit Wayland, while being able to use binary drivers in Wayland may be a stop gap for support.

There are already too few GPU driver developers, Mir will no doubt make this a mess for non-Ubuntu distros who won't/don't use Mir. Trying to force your solution onto others - WITH ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION/COLLABORATION - will not fly.

Those defending Canonical/Ubuntu should ask themselves this one question, "Do I care about Open Source or just use Linux?" If your answer is the latter, then you don't understand why people will fight this.

I really don't care what Ubuntu does but if Ubuntu screws Debian/Fedora/OpenSuSE/Slackware etc then we all lose in our goal of open drivers. A lot of angry Linux developers/users of other distros will excommunicate Ubuntu and Canonical very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
            If Nvidia can truly create a Display Server agnostic EGL-based driver (and AMD can follow suit)
            AMD already have it.

Comment

Let's be very clear. Mir had absolutely nothing to do with Nvidia's decision for a unified EGL driver. The only thing they did was discourage developers from developing for linux, including video drivers by shrinking the market share of fundamental (for lack of a better word) infrastructure. I'd love if a developer in the know honestly can tell me that my understanding is wrong, but many applications, especially games that run on Wayland will not nessessarily run on MIR unless extra hoops are jumped through. Back when Linux was unified in switching to Wayland, the incentive companies like NVIDIA for developing software for Linux, including video drivers was greater.

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                For all those who don't understand, I don't want to be *forced* to use binary drivers because vendors will be happy to close up their driver code again, putting me into a black box. I *DON'T* want to live in a Windows world of no control over what runs on my systems!

Mir will undermine *ALL THE WORK* that's been done to get vendors to open source their drivers and allow for both Linux and *BSD communities the ability to use open source drivers.

If EGL support is added, this may benefit Wayland, while being able to use binary drivers in Wayland may be a stop gap for support.

There are already too few GPU driver developers, Mir will no doubt make this a mess for non-Ubuntu distros who won't/don't use Mir. Trying to force your solution onto others - WITH ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION/COLLABORATION - will not fly.

Those defending Canonical/Ubuntu should ask themselves this one question, "Do I care about Open Source or just use Linux?" If your answer is the latter, then you don't understand why people will fight this.

I really don't care what Ubuntu does but if Ubuntu screws Debian/Fedora/OpenSuSE/Slackware etc then we all lose in our goal of open drivers. A lot of angry Linux developers/users of other distros will excommunicate Ubuntu and Canonical very quickly.
                What. You do realise that this news is completely irrelevant to OSS drivers, right? They already can run Wayland without any issues.

Comment

As the Queen's Metropolis song goes... I want it now... hammers crashing etc...

Talk about exciting. The future is Linux.

Comment

It still matters

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    What. You do realise that this news is completely irrelevant to OSS drivers, right? They already can run Wayland without any issues.
                    It is very relevant, if Canonical makes it easy for them to just bring the binary blobs over *what* incentives are there to having open source drivers in future? Having a 'closed' (as in controlled by Canonical in decision making/direction) graphical UI would be an absolute disaster for Linux, I wouldn't trade Xorg for that!

Comment

Working...
                    X