NVIDIA 313.09 Linux Driver Packs New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Also, glDrawPixels() is for GL 2.1 and earlier versions, the newer ones: GLES 2.0/3.0 and GL 3.3/4.x (core profile) don't support glDrawPixels().
    Which is quite relevant seeing as Kwin and other compositors aren't even using OpenGL 2.1 yet.

Comment

The direction that nvidia going its very coool i hope that they keep going this way also in GL 3 and 4

and there is a few 3d application that use gl 2.0 or 2.1 like Autodesk maya (i think) and Softimage , yes?

Comment

Cairo and missing acceleration

I just tried those drivers, but nvidia failed (again) to provide gradient acceleration to cairo.
        As a result if your gtk theme is not *VERY* basic and you use vanilla cairo, you'll get a really slow scrolling when native widgets (buttons, input boxes) are displayed in the page.
        Workarounds are to use an ugly gtk theme or to rely entirely on the cpu by patching cairo source.

For the record, nouveau or even ati drivers on a poor 9500se scrolls better.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          I just tried those drivers, but nvidia failed (again) to provide gradient acceleration to cairo.
          As a result if your gtk theme is not *VERY* basic and you use vanilla cairo, you'll get a really slow scrolling when native widgets (buttons, input boxes) are displayed in the page.
          Workarounds are to use an ugly gtk theme or to rely entirely on the cpu by patching cairo source.
          Can you give an example of such an application? ...I ask because i am using the latest nvidia driver, with a not_so_basic gtk theme, cairo 12.4 (not patched) and i haven't noticed any slow scrolling in any application... The only time i would ever see slow scrolling is in Firefox watching flash videos using vdpau ~ which doesn't even really happen anymore (since nvidia started including vdpau).

System tested on; Nvidia 313.09 / Nvidia GT440 / AMD Phenom II 965 X4 / 16gig RAM / Archlinux 64bit / Cinnamon (built weekly from git)

that being said, if i can reproduce this issue, it would probably be worth reporting, or adding myself to your existing report (which i assume you have made, otherwise you are just wasting your breathe complaining here ).

cheerz

As a side not to my earlier comment about the traces in dmesg; they have returned, so that bug still exists, although it isn't causing me issues...

Comment

Well this is cool... there's already an experimental compiz w/ support for the new GLX_EXT_buffer_age extension:

Hey All, There won’t be many merges going on in lp:compiz over the holiday break, so I’ve put together a PPA with various performance and other improvements for compiz so that we can ge…

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Well this is cool... there's already an experimental compiz w/ support for the new GLX_EXT_buffer_age extension:

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/...-improvements/
              yeah, i saw that too - i actually linked to the same article in the 6-way gfx benchmarks thread (just now).

I may take a look, but i got sick of all of the nvidia problems with compiz and switched to KDE (which i couldn't get used too) and then settled on cinnamon, which is great and has a much better implementation of expo than compiz does. (compiz has had the same few ugly bugs for years and years - dragging/wrapping windows results in the workspace being drawn above the window, the window-edges/aliasing is terrible in not only expo, but also scale too).

But on the brightside, according to Sam's blog, that experimental ppa, has fixes for the long standing show-stopper of window-dragging (when using certain gl app, like xbmc) resulting in your whole desktop moving at a crawl (basically unusable). Which is one of the reasons i dropped compiz + the 'nvidia blank window' bug, which hasn't been fixed in the 1yr 1/2 that the bug report has existed ~ even though it makes using compiz with nvidia annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                I may take a look, but i got sick of all of the nvidia problems with compiz and switched to KDE (which i couldn't get used too) and then settled on cinnamon, which is great and has a much better implementation of expo than compiz does. (compiz has had the same few ugly bugs for years and years - dragging/wrapping windows results in the workspace being drawn above the window, the window-edges/aliasing is terrible in not only expo, but also scale too).
                When I moved to 12.04, I just set all of my compiz plugins back to the 10.10 configurations I had. lol. Like the Expo plugin, I went with the old-school zoom-out style.

I think in due time I'll give Cinnamon and maybe even Elementary a look. Unity is "okay" but some things are annoying and ugly.

Comment

When I moved to 12.04, I just set all of my compiz plugins back to the 10.10 configurations I had. lol. Like the Expo plugin, I went with the old-school zoom-out style.
                  Well, i don't use Ubuntu - but changing your settings the way you did, doesn't really address any of the bugs in compiz that i mentioned. I used to interact with the compiz-devs a fair bit, with bug reporting, a few fixes, etc but after a few of the showstopper bugs not being addressed (after a long time) i pretty much gave up on compiz (which was fairly recent).

I think in due time I'll give Cinnamon and maybe even Elementary a look. Unity is "okay" but some things are annoying and ugly.
                  Yeah, aside from switching to KDE and settling on cinnamon ~ i had also given elementary a try.... It's pretty good too, but personally, i like cinnamon better, as it seems a little more customizable and feels less like the DE is trying to force a certain workflow, but instead just allows the user to do what he/she wants. Imo, Cinnamon is probably the best DE (for me) given the choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    Can you give an example of such an application?
                    Install and use qtcurve-gtk theme and open firefox on a page with a lot of buttons/checkboxes, then scroll it.
                    like this:

Then install cairo-nvidiablob from aur and scroll it again.
                    For me, vanilla cairo is jerky with the blob, smooth with everything else, i just tried again.

Report:
                    Hi, as stated here: [url]http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2418346[/url] The cairo-1.10.0-buggy_gradients.patch shouldnt be needed anymore, but i tried unpatched cairo 1.12.8 with nvidia drivers 310.14(beta), 304.60 and 304.51. With those drivers gtk applications are very slow, even firefox is slow when scrolling pages using native widgets. Applying the cairo patch OR using nouveau make things smooth again. Users complaining: [url][workaround] 100% CPU load in GTK2 applic...

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      Which is quite relevant seeing as Kwin and other compositors aren't even using OpenGL 2.1 yet.
                      Well, they should not use this, no matter what GL version is the baseline. And I'm pretty sure they don't. glDrawPixels is a very deprecated and very slow operation. Some old legacy applications might benefit from this optimization though. But if you use glDrawPixels (or its cousins) in current code, you should be thorougly beaten with a stick.
                      Last edited by brent; 14 December 2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X