Missing Functionality From The Linux Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Maybe.. On windows, there was that russian guy, Unwinder, who wrote Rivatuner... eventually he was bought by MSI and now Rivatuner exists under name "MSI Afterburner".
    But maybe not. I see all this as limitation of product, which hinders its value for enthusiasts or overall linux buyers. I agree that you should be warned... once.
    I think the important question here is... what kind of window theme is it that you're using there...? I'd like to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      I think the important question here is... what kind of window theme is it that you're using there...? I'd like to give it a try.
      Heh, thats easy one.

But I just straight tell you about the problem it produces, I think it is general problem of darker themes. I think I wrap it in codebox, so its skippable...
      Code:
      Default font is somewhat creme-white and background grey dark. 

So, here, right now, on phoronix, in *this edit box* I have white background(enforced by css?) with creme white font(as it should be). Hard to read... 

Somewhere I get reverse - darker background from theme(as it should be) and black(urgh) font(enforced by css?.)  - impossible to read.

I have blindly typed the text and doubleclicked to check Or pasted from editor..  I have tried to limit number of accessible colors within firefox. Even edited its config files, usually result was even worse.

This problem is with Firefox only.. Maybe I work around it, when I have bit of time, or you have ideas?..
      KDE 4.6 (not upgraded, yet)
      KWin compositing on
      Window borders theme: Perfection, by scnd101 ; (within window decoration manager) window borders:large, buttons: normal, button layout a bit modified

Desktop theme: Elegance(standard one), with "panel background" from Ghost

Style: Oxygen (defines how buttons inside windows look, ie widget look)
      Colorscheme: Obsidian Coast (main color scheme, that easy (on my) eyes grey)

Used gtk-theme-switch app to change gtk theme engine to qtcurve(found it most appealing), I think nvidia-settings uses gtk.

Comment

Ahhh, thank you...!

I haven't checked out KDE since the '90s so now I see what I've been missing...

Yes, I like the dark themes but you're right, sometimes it can be hard to get all the apps to play nice and to get the contrast right (kinda stuck working with different grays, etc.).

I was thinking for Firefox maybe they have a theme add-on that would work for dark desktops? Not sure if CSS would respect that though.

Comment

Huh, firefox does that too? IIRC the problem was much less on FF than in Opera, though neither handles dark themes properly. It's a shame they let css override the theme partially, they should detect black text on black / white text on white etc.

Comment

Another hidden useful option, why does nvidia hide it anyway? Is it developer-only?
            It's in their well docmented readme.

Comment

Nope, dualhead should just have its minimal base clocks limit rised. This detection could be done automatically.
              This would make "force minimum" force a higher power level than "adaptive" at idle, which doesn't make much sense. Also, what does dualhead have to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
                This would make "force minimum" force a higher power level than "adaptive" at idle, which doesn't make much sense. Also, what does dualhead have to do with it?
                This would not. The adaptive also has minimum rised upon connect of additional VGA. The difference is that adaptive has logic to adapt clocks, the fixed always keeps either possible minimum or programmed maximum.

Dualhead, I mean double head, i.e two monitors active. Not the matrox adapter.

Comment

Working...
                X