X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lithorus
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    how many video APIs do we actually have for Linux (Xorg to be more precise)?????

its this by NVIDIA, Xvsomething, Vaapi, i think AMD has its own that will (is??) ported to linux and probably some more

Competition and different approaches are good for Linux and OSS in general. It's true that there are quite a good number of implementations around now that does the same thing. IMHO Nvidia has proven that VDPAU is rather mature and has proven this with so many projects adopting it. It would be interesting to see if this could become the OpenGL for video playback. Imagine if this could be ported/implemented on other platforms aswell.

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    That's normal in OSS world. Get used to it... (I know it's hard somethimes)

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    how many video APIs do we actually have for Linux (Xorg to be more precise)?????

its this by NVIDIA, Xvsomething, Vaapi, i think AMD has its own that will (is??) ported to linux and probably some more

Leave a comment:

• jscurtu
    replied
    I'm not at speed in the graphics department on linux, what benefits will give this?
    Well this will bring high quality, Accelerated Video playback...
    VDPAU can be described as the X Window System equivalent of Microsoft's DxVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) API for Windows.

I would like to see this as part of Gallium3D, that would be the best way so that all Cards that use a Gallium3D driver would automatic benefit and be able to have vpdau support!

Leave a comment:

• tmpdir
    replied
    I'm not at speed in the graphics department on linux, what benefits will give this?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Create Protocol For VDPAU

After releasing a standalone VDPAU library, NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner shared an interesting tid-bit on the X.Org mailing list in response to questions raised by Red Hat's David Airlie. The Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix will have its own protocol, similar to that of XvMC and DRI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X